Anyone need an Omar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone need an Omar

Hi all i live in a small community on the Belcher island chain in Hudson bay Canada the place were Omars come from . i cant take a step without seeing one so if your looking let me know

Wilbo, interesting introduction! Welcome from Indiana.
    Post some nice pics of a few for some of our newbie friends who can get confused from time to time.
    And if you have any artifacts to share with us please posts pics of those too.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

welcome to AH.com

would love to see some pics of your finds

Comment

Welcome to AH.com
        whats a Omar
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

a few pics

Comment

cool point
          any idea what the lithic material is and where it comes from

Comment

• willbo
            willbo commented
            Editing a comment
            i think its flint but im no expert its very sharp great cutting edge . it can be found on island

The material on that point is a smokey chalcedony. A type of lithic that is found almost every where. Sometimes by itself, and sometimes associated with another form of chert or flint in the same piece. An interesting fact, chalcedony is a type of lithic that will show a lot of hanging flakes, but that you really don't want to see on an authentic point. BUT, at the hinge fracture on these flakes, there should be visible yellowed oxidation.
          Last edited by pkfrey; 06-12-2016, 09:44 AM.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

P.S. If you find a lot of that on the island, either in finished artifacts, or unworked natural blocks of it, there may be a quarry source, which you should look for.

Comment

this is a random stone picked up by my GF you can see the center material is the same as the point so im guessing there is a source on the island

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                This has an agate look to me.

modern day harpoon head next to artifact . they now make them from a silver alloy , sometimes stainless steel or brass

Comment

How old is that "artifact"?
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• willbo
                  willbo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  im not sure of its age it was found at a very old camp site (dug out shelter) on the island

Chalcedony is a type of silica based chert/flint, that when flaked will leave behind transparent " hanging " flakes all over the surface. But with age, and hundreds or thousands of years of weathering, the majority of these flakes will be snapped off due to frost action. Those that remain will be yellowed from oxidation. Why are we seeing dozens of clean, hanging flakes on the surface of this point?

Comment

• willbo
                  willbo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i have no idea what you are seeing i dont know a thing about this stuff. like i said it was found in a dugout shelter tucked away between wall and floor. the arctic or sub arctic as the case may be seems to preserve things quite well maybe thats why i dont know. i did not make it if thats what your getting at i only posted it because i was asked to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you can find some decent sized pieces of that chalcedony that isnt full of fractures i would be interested in acquiring some of it
                i am a knapper and would love to try some of that material. dont find it in my area

Comment

• willbo
                  willbo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will see what i can find

• willbo
                  willbo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  my gf just told me she thinks she found a big piece of this its out on the tundra but she did set it aside. she is going to go for a walk to see if she can find it .

That's what I was wondering, the environment where it was found. Sometimes points, or any artifact, can be found that were protected from the elements. And they escape all the normal patina from weathering. I found artifacts several feet below the surface in rock shelters that looked like they were made yesterday! I'm sorry, I wasn't implying you made the point, I should have worded that differently. Don't beat me up to bad on this, I'm already old and falling apart!

Comment

• willbo
                  willbo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  cool

Hi sneaky my GF was able to find some of that stuff here are some pics

Comment

Working...
                X