Eastern Pennsylvania Artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Pennsylvania Artifacts?

These were found in a farm field on bluffs above the Delaware River in eastern Pennsylvania. All were rather unusual stone types in the field, which was mostly sedimentary pebbles mixed in with the soil. Further, these items were somewhat concentrated in two general areas of the field rather than evenly distributed. I would appreciate opinions on whether any of these are actually artifacts or just rocks. Thanks!

First, a possible broken point? The material is a course black quartzite.

Second, knife/scraper 1?

Comment

Third, knife/scraper 2?

Comment

the first one looks like a very well weather worn point
        but the others just like debitage to me(waste from the knapping process)

Comment

Last, waste flakes?

Comment

Nice finds second one so much
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks. Is there anything characteristic to debitage as compared to naturally broken stone? Or is it usually just identified as such due to the context in which it was found (e.g. from artifact producing area or along with other similar material)?

Comment

First one is definitely a point. Third one could possibly be a tool.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Any ideas on the type of point? It reminds me of a Hardaway side-notched, but I understand they are quite uncommon so far north.

Comment

Working...
                  X