Boredom can be helpful - Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boredom can be helpful - Maybe

What do ya think guys and gals. Is this an Adena Robbins base???? I found it sometime back and it went into my broken box. Today I started looking through it to see what I could come up with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AdenaRobbins4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	235321Click image for larger version  Name:	AdenaRobbins 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	235322Click image for larger version  Name:	AdenaRobbins 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	235320

I have no idea what the material is but it's really black and kinda purdy. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

I don't know what it is, although you very well may be right, but I really like that lithic. It will be interesting to hear what it is.
    South Dakota

Comment

Looks kinda like what I remember from the Overstreet but we know they're not very reliable when it comes to typology, but they do provide us this site.

Comment

May be a Robbins, could also be a Steuben or Lowes
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great lithic Chuck. I also am intrigued as to what the pros say re. toolstone.

Comment

Another type for consideration could be Big Slough imo.

On the material i think pictures in natural lighting would help show the true color better... Although it still may remain a mystery. In that case black chert would be sufficient I think. Cool partial chuck!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea Josh - I don't know why I didn't post them in natural light anyway. I've given the same advice I don't know how many times. The lithic looks almost blue-grey in natural light. I'll post them.

That basal shape is also fairly common in the Buck Creek type....
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Per Josh's recommendation, I'm re-posting the point base but with photos taken under natural light. I don't believe I've seen this point under natural light since I found it way back when. It sure looked black under house lighting but now it's quite a different color. Looks kinda blue-grey

Click image for larger version

Name:	point1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	235365Click image for larger version

Name:	point3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	235366Click image for larger version

Name:	point2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	235367

I don't know how many times I've given other people advice about taking pictures in natural daylight for better representation of the artifact. Guess I was just in a hurry and didn't want to wait until daylight to post. So here they be. ...Chuck
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Pretty material Chuck.

Comment

• Scorpion68
                  Scorpion68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Coach - I'm trying to find out what the lithic is. This point base is the only thing I have in my collection that is made of this material. It may well have been brought in from somewhere else. Have you seen anything like this in the areas you hunt???

• CoachG
                  CoachG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Not sure what it's called but I really like it. I'll try to round up a few pics of anything I have of that material in day light hours if I can remember.

Blue & Grey fossiliferous chert similar to Harrosburg Chert Chuck. Look at all those tiny fossils! Awesome! Would be cool to see under magnification.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
                  Scorpion68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wish I had the capability to photo graph with a microscope to get a closer look. I've got a few lens adapters that increase magnification - maybe I'll try them and see if it makes a difference. Never heard of such a lithic. Is it common to our area Josh??

• Kyflintguy
                  Kyflintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think what you have is Harrodsburg Chert just similar to it. Its definitely Fossiliferous though, I actually found some examples that were close to what you have that vie found in both Tennessee and Kentucky. I will post pics here soon.

Just for grins and giggles - I'm posting these for Josh and any other interested collectors. I attempted to magnify the base on this point to where we could see more detail by using macro lens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	235529Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	235530Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	235531

This is what I came up with. Unfortunately the focal point is the main place where the detail is most visible and it's a really small point. But you can get the idea. I'd really like to see this under a microscope and see what all that material really looks like. Still - there's plenty of detail here just not enough to satisfy my curiosity. ...Chuck

Comment

Working...
                X