What are these? A first...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these? A first...

Two things from my predominantly woodland site... This first thing is a first for me... I know I've seen similar stuff... What is the black thing and what is it used for? As for the chunk of jasper... would that be some kind of scraper or is it just something someone was working on or broke off of something? I believe the edge shows some use wear so I would imagine it's a scraper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	242470
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	242471
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	488.0 KB ID:	242472
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	242473

The balck thing is part of a broken pendant with tally marks. The material is slate, possibly Peach Bottom slate. The edges are smoothed over from a lot of water wear. These are commonly found near Long Level, York Co., Pa., where the slate originates ( if it is Peach bottom ). The jasper piece look like a multi purpose tool, knife/scraper, or a hand held knife form.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info! As for the black thing... I can see it being part of a broken pendant especially after looking at photos on Google... but what's interesting is (and I guess I should have taken a picture) -- on the left side is 1 mark (clearly visible in the photo) and two smaller ones under it (barely visible in the photo.) Like it appears it's not broken on the sides... know what I mean? What shape could this have been?

Comment

It's hard to say what the original shape would have been. I would guess some what longer and wider at the slightly concave area, and also drilled at this wider part. These are normally tallied around the entire outer edges. These are found in a wide variety of shapes, and are found with Early Woodland pottery, so they may be from the Fox Creek people. I don't have many in my own collection to show similar examples, other than these two. The one being oval, drill and tallied. The other being a stylistic human figure. I'm not sure if yours is really broken. It could be a tie on pendant, and not broken at all. It's not understood why these are so varied in style, or why they are tallied at random places. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06433.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	242491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06434.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	242492

Comment

• filmiracl
          filmiracl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info!

Nice artifacts from both plus thanks for sharing the info Paul
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Neat tally mark piece. I've never found anything like that. Great info.

Comment

That pendant is great. Thanks for sharing. And, thanks for the intel Paul.

Comment

nice finds thanks for sharing!
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Here's the end... I would imagine this is broken because I wouldn't think they would keep an edge like this... but I've haven't seen too many photos of pendants to know if they would. What do you guys thing? Broken? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8413.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	242588

Comment

That's a 50/50 guess. maybe broken, maybe not. If broken, it may have just had a drilled end, or rounded lobe on the end. But it could be complete. I've seen these odd little pendants tallied like this, and not drilled at all. Also seeing up close photos, I'm wondering if that is a worked piece of canal coal. Some times photos are hard to narrow down to be exact.

Comment

You sure wonder what they were tallying.
                    South Dakota

Comment

That's a one of a kind find, congrats. I think I'm even a little jealous.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. It was pure luck that I spotted this... it was coincidentally just a few feet from the huge jasper piece in the river cobble. When I bent down to pick it up I spotted the pendant.

Comment

Working...
                        X