I keep finding these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep finding these

I want to start buy saying i apologize for the newb questions, but the field i have been hunting has a camp site on it and i keep finding rocks similar to these that i found this week. The first and second picture. Left rock is flat on the bottom and one side, the other is flat on the bottom. They have obvious plow marks. The third picture both are potato shaped. I have little knowledge of artifacts but love discovering history.

Interesting Darrell - I'll be watching to see what they turn out to be. If I'd found them here on the mountain - they'd be rocks but context of where they were found has a lot to do with it. Let's see.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Rocks! But we have all found them they are natural unaltered by man. Keep looking and your bound to start finding artifacts. but I would say look for arrowheads to begin with and work up to hardstone artifacts.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I have shoe boxes full of points and scrapers from this site from looking as a kid and several from the past 2 weeks. I know they were brought to the location they were found by man but didnt know if they were used for a specific purpose or brought to be fashioned into tools but never made it that far.

Comment

The one on the left in the first picture looks pitted. The two in the last picture may be hammer stones. Please show us some pictures taken in good out door lighting. Outdoor light is best to see actual color. You want a place that is but an indirect type light is good not fully shaded but not sun bright at high noon either.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Take Hoss' advice about pics. Get us some from all angles of each rock in daylight. Good chance you've at least got a couple artifacts there.

Comment

Thanks guys. As soon as i can get outside in some better lighting i will get some better pictures. Its rainy and had tornadoes in the area.

Comment

The big one on the right could be a loaf stone or Mano . I agree with better pics needed.
                South Dakota

Comment

Hey Darrell, When you take the better pictures please take pictures of the flat side to show use wear.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Comment

• Hoss
                      Hoss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just rocks with plow marks in my honest opinion. same as below. I thought I saw divot in the one below right but they are plow marks. If Pitted the divot would be more rounded and smooth.

Comment

do you have better pics of these two? Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	242645
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

More than once Illinois has been covered by glaciers. Those glaciers dumped a lot of rocks all over the place so to find these on a site is not unusual. But keep kicking them out of the ground every so often you get lucky!
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                        X