Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meadowood? And What Is The Material?

Hello,

So a friend found this where a foundation for a house is being built, I have yet to see it in person so I don't have any good pics of it. Is this a Meadowood? And the material looks sort of chert-ish... can anyone tell me what it's made out of? I'll try to get better pictures when I have it in my hand.

Looks like a bad reproduction from the pics.

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't argue with that, it does. But he did indeed find it in the dirt.

I agree that its probably a modern point. Ive always heard those called "one flake wonders". Its entirely feasible for him to have found it around the foundation of a house because kids lose things like that commonly and those are usually marketed towards children in gift shops and tourist destinations, so makes sense to me.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not a foundation of a house yet. It's a hole in the ground, he found it on the nearby mound of dirt.

What state? Definitely not a Meadowwood!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Seekonk MA

Definitely not going to tell him if it's a repro, I'll just let it go. That's a bummer though, he's been wanting to find one for a while and said he saw the dirt pile and figured he'd check it.
    Last edited by -=METACOM=-; 02-28-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

The edge work is intriguing. My gut tells me it is one of those modern points too. Perhaps some kids lost it playing in the woods. Or perhaps he works with some practical jokers.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Since he's not one to lie, I believe he found it the way he says he found it. This is just something going on next to his house, he doesn't work on the site or anything like that. I'll get good pictures tomorrow but I'm disappointed to hear this.

Comment

I wasn't insinuating he was lying. It just appears modern to me from the pics. I hope it ends up being a poorly made authentic piece off a flake though.

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
            -=METACOM=- commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't mean to make it sound that way.

• CoachG
            CoachG commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok. Just making sure you knew I wasn't insinuating that.

It does look modern. Is the material jasper? If it were made off a flake anciently, it looks like a Normanskill.
          Rhode Island

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of CMD. My first impression was jasper but no idea what it's ID is and I sure ain't experienced enough to analyze the flaking. I hope it turns out to be authentic.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Maybe a better picture would help. I wouldn't tell him either. Probably no harm in thinking he found a real one. I have some points made from flakes, that look similar to that. Very flat sections, very little flaking, etc. you should offer to go dig around there a little, and see if something else turns up. A few pottery shards or some waste flakes.
              South Dakota

Comment

It looks wrong even more so in person. I'll post the pics later. He says there are neighborhood kids around so....

Comment

I think your friend just answered his own question. 😊
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Well, for the hell of it, here's some daylight pics. Does anyone recognize the material? I'm just curious as to what it is.

Comment

Looks like an eBay side notch to me....

Comment

Working...
                      X