Preferator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferator?

I found this last weekend in the NC mountains. I'm thinking it is some sort of punch? I believe it is made of Knox chert. Just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts? It is curved with some torque.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Can't make a call on what it is for sure. Knife? Punch tool? Not sure. Nice find though.

Comment

Like Coach, don't know but a nice find.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice find but it could have been used for anything Punch would be a good fit.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That's a cool little tool. Probably multi use.
          South Dakota

Comment

Awesome looking piece. I'd call it a Craftsman tool as they're guaranteed for life and that looks like it's been around at least a few lifetimes.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

It seems picky I guess to call this something other than a punch. A punch would have a straight form and tip, or it would slip off what ever they were punching. Plus the larger end would be crushed and battered from hitting. So I would say this is a reamer, used to enlarge already existing holes, in a variety of artifacts, especially pendants, I know what your thinking Hoss, " Come on Paul, don't be so picky! Being a punch is fine!. "
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Sugaree
                Sugaree commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the insight Paul. Sure wish I could find something drilled.

On most pendants that you see drilled, the hole is somewhat conical on both sides. Unless the piece is from the Adena/Hopewell Culture. many of these are drilled from one side only. Anyway, the initial drilling was started with a small hollow reed. They drilled it from both sides, and when the holes were close to be finished, they would would go in there with an occasional copper or stone punch, and punch the hole through. Then they would take a stone reamer and widen the hole where it met from both sides. Just a side note, I have seen pendants " killed " by authenticaters. because they saw copper residue inside the hole. It's ok to see copper residue, IF the copper has patinated and turned a dark bluish-green.
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
              X