Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm pretty sure this is a Celt, but what kind of stone is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I finally got some good photos. This isn't the same Celt, but it is the same stone type. I found it about 20 yards from the other one.its also about 8.5" long and weighs about 8 pounds. Maybe one of you rock guys can tell me a for-sure on the rock type?
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I'm gonna try again. I suck at the internets.

Comment

That's diorite, very similar to granite, but with the absence of quartz inclusions. If you look closely, maybe with a 10x loupe, you should see feldspar and mica, which is absent in granite.
        Last edited by pkfrey; 04-29-2017, 08:56 PM.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
          That's diorite, very similar to granite, but with the absence of quartz inclusions. If you look closely, maybe with a 10x loupe, you should see feldspar and mica, which is absent in granite.

Thank you you very much. Now, when someone asks what that is, I can tell them with a degree of confidence "that's (what you said)." And the women and children will ooh and ahhhh.

Comment

Working...
          X