Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My best find to date... please help identify!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best find to date... please help identify!

Found in south east Kansas. It's curved almost like a knife. I'm new to arrowhead hunting, am trying to identify ... any opinions welcomed! Thanks

Looks kind of like a Hopewell type point to me.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to AH.com jarotb. I'm not familiar with your area but I guarantee someone on here is. Sure is a nice find.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That's a beautiful point. Congrats!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Hi jarotb. It's curved like a knife cause that is what that point was used for. Some knives had straight edges and some had curved edges. As far as type I am not familiar with Kansas area points perhaps some other members from your general part of the country can help. In the meantime you may want to check out the following website if you have not already done so. www.projectilepoints.net. You may be able to figure it out for yourself.

Comment

Sure looks woodland to me. I think Hoss called it.

Comment

That is nice. I can't really tell if the side is broken, or they have re sharpened it. Did you find it in a creek? BTW. Welcome, and thanks for sharing
              South Dakota

Comment

Welcome! Always enjoy the odd find like yours.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice Kansas find. It was definitely made that way for a special purpose. It looks like a hybrid of some other styles of tang knives from states surrounding KS and as mentioned by Hoss they all fall into that Woodland time frame. I have often thought on those odd pieces that there may have been influence from surrounding areas as research has shown quite some distances traveled by these folks. Really great find you have there. That is a heckuva welcome post there. Maybe you can get up with a local museum who has someone on hand to give you some better local insight. Welcome from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...
                  The chase is better than the catch...
                  I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Very nice indeed!

Comment

Great point. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum from sunny southwestern Ontario.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!

Comment

Looks like a Hopewell to me

Comment

Working...
                          X