Not sure what I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what I found

I would like to know what this piece was used for by the Indiana and what its value is

First off how did you find it? Is it a something you purchased? Any way we could get a few more photos in better lighting? I like to take photos outside in indirect natural light to get the best pic I can.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi Junebug. It looks like dirt on it. If so, then clean it up. If not, then post some more and better photos so we can better help you. Also, on this forum one of the rules is that we don't discuss the monetary value of artifacts.

Comment

Ok this is the same item you posted recently under the exact same title. You could've simply posted this newer picture to that thread. The photos are getting better but now we need to see the backside in better light.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It looks like a jumbo size version of a flint fishhook. If you look at the photo on this page, I believe you'll see why it reminded me of one. I have no idea if it is, and it should be noted that collectors are fairly universal in believing all such examples are modern in origin, and not ancient. This article is part one of a 5 part series on the subject, and I don't know if all parts are easy enough to find, or even exist. I also don't know what the author's overall conclusion is regarding whether any have ever been found by professionals in a controlled excavation. Again, this was just my first thought. This photo is better then your original photo. Welcome to the forum, and fill us in on the circumstances of the find. And, of course, more photos from different angles are never a bad idea.....

by Tracy C. Brown As the century was drawing to a close, Lame Beaver had lived half of it and seen many things―and now he had been told that he would see a god. —James A. Michener (1978) 1.0 …
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the post from two days ago were Junebug shared a photo of the backside of this item. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...e-what-i-found

There appears to be some kind of impact fracture but only better photos would confirm. I think the hook shape is coincidental and maybe were looking at a broken spade or hoe. The material (Fort Payne/Muldraugh) appears to be consistent with artifacts found in Ky/In.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I saw the other thread. It was that bulbous end that reminded me of those flint hooks. It just looked like a crude, jumbo example, lol...

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, I did just relook at the first thread, and see what you mean....

I think we need some better pictures to help you. I haven't seen anything like that. I agree with Charlie in what it looks like, but.....
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X