Is this anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this anything?

This rock was given to me. I don't know where it was found. It looks like an unfinished celt but I don't know. Is this anything?

My guess would be just a smooth river rock, those dimples almost resemble peck marks but I think they're a natural part of the rocks composition. Plus if it were unfinished they still had a long ways to go to achieve a bit and the surface would be much rougher at that point in the process.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I always struggle with these kind of rocks, when they are so symmetrical. I find them in my field quite frequently. Some could be manos. I usually take them home, and at least throw them in a rock pile in my yard.
      South Dakota

Comment

So many rocks look like "something". Nature can alter rocks in amazing ways.
        Child of the tides

Comment

I can go to the river bed and fill a truck bed up with ones just like that ,,,, but if found in a known site then that makes all the difference ....
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

Natives had the same hobby of hunting for rocks just as I like rock hunting. I don't have time as I used to for this hobby (got to care for my family) but I sure do enjoy seeing and making conversation of it. People could still can live primitively today too. On the other hand, Natives had to make it essential and for survival. It was definitely a whole different lifestyle, life or death. This rock was given to me and I don't know if its from NC or California. If not related to a certain culture or a function then it isn't important to an artifact collector. Anyways, I just find rocks intriguing since I found my first arrowhead about 23 years ago when I was 8 years old. Even found some other nice lithic materials which I know now were from an ancient lifestyle. Rocks or the making of tools from it are a technology that is obsolete (still can be reproduced though). Too bad that someone stole those that I found from me, when I shared them and I failed to keep them in a secure place. In conclusion, rocks can be sentimental and have a purpose when fabricated into a usable form. It was absolutely necessary in the past. There are dozens of forms created and modified for certain functions. To find these forms, either whole or what was once whole, shows a history/lifestyle/culture that once was when survival for humanity was absolutely priority.

Comment

Working...
            X