Rhyolite Tool Quarry Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhyolite Tool Quarry Finds

These are 4 finds of many from a rhyolite tool quarry that is located in the northern Uhwarrie region.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hey Taterman, You do mean "Uwharrie" in Central North Carolina right? Why do you think they are tools and what kind of tools do you think they are?
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Taterman421
            Taterman421 commented
            Editing a comment
            It is the over 50,000 acres of national forest in the NC Piedmont. I'd say these are from a process of tool making and having a specific function may be speculative but fun to just imagine. I don't know for sure but only guess to what function such items may have been. I am sharing these for ideas and to see if anyone has something interesting to say.

Cool. I had to look it up.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Nice chunks.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Well I will try to be more clear. Those are rocks. The correct spelling is Uwharrie. I have a hundred hardstone tools and on each is evidence of the method of manufacture and use wear. You didn't answer my question, "Why do you think those are tools?"
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

You have hundreds. Sounds like you have few to no rhyolite materials though. Rhyolite is a flaked material. It gains a chalky-white to dark tan patina over time. I can give you an answer but I'm interested in seeing a response. I know I have something different here but it's not like I picked these up from a plowed field or Creek. These are from what I call a quarry tool site. Some places I dug there no longer had soil, it was 2-4 feet of rhyolite chunks and flakes. I should have been more clear on my location. There was definitely arrowheads there or I wouldn't have been hunting it. Just intriguing to see what may have been used or being made there, other than arrowheads and knives. Personally I have collected types there such as Guilford, Morrow Mtn, Kirk, Savannah, Stanley and Hardaway. is There is a process to make these type. Then there is a process for tool making and if you gain the function that is desired then the process over. Some don't have time to make hardstone tools especially if that is harder to obtain too. I do not claim to be an expert but I have found artifacts and arrowheads all over the Piedmont region of NC. I actually like the challenge.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seriously Tater you still didn't answer my question. Why do you think those rocks are tools?

Looks like they may be unworked blanks collected for tool production, but they otherwise resemble rocks. Again, maybe collected as raw material for later tool production.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Tools are objects that have functions for doing work. The creator can make it so that it can be hafted for more leverage or formed to fit the hand for simple, expedient work. Tools can be classified by basic functions. For example, cutting, scraping, sawing, chopping, shaving, drilling, gouging, sharpening, digging, hammering, graving, chiseling and grinding. Those functions listed seem like that can help Natives complete the work they had. Since stones were the technology of the past, the supply and availability could determine what work can be achieved. Rhyolite is the most abundant material at the site I gathered samples and artifacts from. This material can be flaked (lithic reduction) and ground into shape so that work can achieved. These "rocks" in my opinion were formed into these shapes purposely or incidentally from being used as a tool. I did not live then so I don't know what each function was for each stone but it can be speculated. For example, the first one I believe was for digging, cutting or chopping (hafted maybe). The second for cutting, shaving, chopping, sawing or scraping. The third is just a handle form, handles are a tool for leverage but this may be used for digging or as a club weapon. The last one is a large uniface flake with a sharp edge about 3/4 of the way around; maybe a preform or can be used for cutting or scraping. I'm sure there will be opposition to this speculation but I think it is fun to use my imagination for such things. Especially when I know there are many types of work the Natives had, other than making projectile points and flaked tools. Mr. Kelley here is the best answer I can give but then again I am just being speculative. These pieces are laying in my mamas flower bed and make a unique decoration too.
                  Last edited by Taterman421; 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I am no expert by any means but I'm not seeing any evidence that shows they were made into or used as tools. Cool material though

Comment

I came across this eBay seller. Those are rocks to me.
                      Last edited by Taterman421; 07-16-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I will try to explain: A hammerstone is a simple tool. This hammerstone was gifted to me from one of our very generous AH members. I have a great appreciation for this ancient artifact. On each side I can see a thumbhold that was pecked into the stone. There are many gouges that are use wear from abrading chert in the flint knapping process. There is also obvious use wear that resulted from percussion strikes.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4a, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	256328Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4b, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	256330Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4c, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	599.8 KB
ID:	256329Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4d, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	256332Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4e, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	256331
                        Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Taterman421
                          Taterman421 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sure looks battered up to me.

Are you saying that you dig in a National forest? I realize that within the boundaries there is private properties but digging is not allowed within to national parks. I am not saying you are doing something wrong I am only offering advice. If you are on private property near a NP great not sure how it all works on private property with in a National Parks boundaries?? If anyone know please feel free to clue us in on the differences?

Here is a cool piece of Rhyolite from Vance Co NC. Sorry the pics are not that great. I call it a big side scraper. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_195527.jpg Views:	1 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	256341
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_195601.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	256343

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_195542.jpg Views:	2 Size:	166.5 KB ID:	256344
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                        X