Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopewell or Jacks Reef? E TN find yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopewell or Jacks Reef? E TN find yesterday.

Hey guys, saw a shape in the sifter I have never seen before, found in a site with lots of jacks reefs. Couldn't believe the material when I washed it off!

Found in morgan county tn. At first I thought hopewell but kyflint thought jacks. The base defiantly looks jacks but the material and overall shape does not coincide with the jacks I find in the area.

What do you think it is?

The point on the left in the second pic was the other whole point I found, figured to be jacks

Thanks for the help

Jake
    Last edited by Jake Pringles; 07-29-2017, 07:55 AM.

Hi JP. The first one looks more like a Hopewell to me than a JR In the 2nd photo where there are two points, the left one looks more like a JR while the one on the right looks to be the same one in the first pic, a Hopewell.

Comment

It is maybe a little out of the usual for typical east Tn JRCN with the wider base and form. I was leaning that way because of several reasons, one is it appears to have a acuminate tip that was broken off at some point wich is a trait I've seen before with JRCN. Also most Hopewell points I've seen from Ky, have been narrower and more parallel sides and are usually longer than they are wide. Jake has found several other (maybe 5-6 I think?) typical JRCN points on this particular site, so JRCN seemed like a likely candidate.
      I was looking back to see if I can find some pictures that maybe Charlie? shared of JRCN from up in the north east. This point reminds me of some of the ones from up there.
      Honestly I can't think if I've ever seen a Hopewell point from east Tn. I'm sure they can be found here in this area but I just don't recall having seen one. I think it would be awesome if my guess was wrong and it is Hopewell though...
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
      X