Another Connecticut point for ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Connecticut point for ID

Just one more for now. Found two years ago, in Connecticut, on the water, in the area where I find most of my points. The lighting isn't perfect, but a pretty good shot of each side, and there's that quarter for perspective. As always, thoughts on type are appreciated. This little guy is one of my favorites, and I'm always hoping to find another to keep him company, lol. I'd love to see others from New England, too!

Looks like a susquehanna to me.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      i agree on the susquehamma id,,,i have over 400 point from central mass and maine,, the two places i have lived,, found a varney point last fall, central mass,, also known as an eden,, late paleo

Not my area, but love the black points....they are rare here in Texas.

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      or it actually does look an orient fishtail seeing the other comments,, good to have folks chipping in on the id,, no pun intended,lol

Originally posted by Claycald View Post
    Not my area, but love the black points....they are rare here in Texas.
    Black is rare in Arkansas as well ,,, and love them.
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Sweet little point.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The one in your avatar looks like a nice Orient point. Please make a new post and share some pictures of that point
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Krazyfingerzz
          Krazyfingerzz commented
          Editing a comment
          It is one of my favorite orient fishtails, Hoss! Really an amazing piece, with veins of color running through. I found it in the same spot, and just as I'd pretty much given up. I'll definitely give that one a post!

Back to this point, though, since I'm trying to sharpen my identification skills. Don't the Susquehanna points have square basal ears, different from the ones on that point? I realize that there are variations, and all my points have been rolling around in the water for a while. I'm always amazed to see them intact!

It does look like a nice chert Susquehanna. Since you asked, here are two Susquehanna points my wife found in RI. And I agree with Hoss. That looks like a nice Orient in your avatar....

Rhode Island

Comment

• Krazyfingerzz
          Krazyfingerzz commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! I need to look harder in RI! My brother has a place on Matunuck Beach (I think I spelled that correctly). I don't seem to be able to pass a beach without getting lost in the hunt, lol.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Our favorite fun in the Summer sun beach, but never found a point on any of our many Atlantic Coast barrier beaches. Different environment then the Sound, and no points to be found on that type of beach. The Sound is like an embayment of sorts, different then open Atlantic beaches...

Agreed, susquehanna point and a nice material.
        If I can eventually figure out how to post pics now that photobucket has become unruly, Ill post some stuff you very well will recognize being only a few miles from you.
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Krazyfingerzz
          Krazyfingerzz commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd love to see those, especially because I've got a few puzzle points - just the bases. I'm hoping someday to see what they were, before broken.

Thanks for sharing your artifacts, and welcome
        South Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	259257
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

^^^^ ok, loading a pic from the phone is easier than I anticipated...getting text into that box is not though....hahahaha
            Im sure you have a few Levannas in your collection as they are extremely common for our area. This is my best Levanna, and a large one at that.
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Krazyfingerzz
              Krazyfingerzz commented
              Editing a comment
              That's definitely bigger than any Levannas I've got! I seem to have found all of them at one time, and it's been a while since another has come my way. They might not all be Levannas, so at some point, I'll probably post and see!

Definitely looks like a Susquehanna!! Beautiful find! Congratulations
            Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

So, one more question - actually two. Looking through the 13th ed. of Overstreet, and online, I keep thinking that the point resembles a kanawah, more than a susquehanna. I've looked at the broad and bifurcated types, ruling out the broad, because, to me, this would be considered a small point. Then I look at the ears. Still Susquehanna, then, and if so, which type?

Comment

https://sites.google.com/site/chasin...ultural-change. Great article on Susquehanna points of the terminal archaic. I like the pic it shows Susquehanna big and small. I have one I will share later that is small like yours mine is jasper and from western ct

More examples as you can see they are not all big 3 inch points. http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/pr...oad-plate.html
                Last edited by Hoss; 08-08-2017, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I have looked for the frame with that jasper Susquehanna that is similar to yours but it is packed away right now. I am sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X