what kind of point is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of point is this?

I found this in west central Missouri like the rest of my recent posts. I've just started seriously arrowhead hunting this spring and apologize if it seems like I'm hijacking the forum, but I have a lot of questions. I'm retired army and have a lot of time on my hands to get out and search and I can discern many of my answers by researching online, and save the ones that stump me for the generous experienced perspectives from you folks on here (I was happy when I discovered this site). This small point looks to me as if it had another small ear to match the one on the right in the first pic. If so, what kind of point is it? or is it just a generic bird point that was uniquely made? It differs from what I've found in the area due to the shape and color...most of the points/artifacts that I find are white, gray, white and gray swirled, or pinkish/red. I also apologize for the clarity...my phone doesn't take the best of pics, and as always, your assistance and comments are greatly appreciated guys!

Please include what state you are from or where the artifact was found in inquiries. It helps to narrow down a type for you. This point has an incomplete base and the pictures are not very good. It almost looks like you are angling the photo away rather than directly straight on. Also lighting could be improved.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

If a specimen does not have a complete stem base it might be impossible to type the point . Often the most tell tale attributes are in the base form.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi armyman. And welcome to the forum. Close up pictures and fine focus are frequently needed when trying to ID a point from a photograph. This is especially true for very small points. Even at that it may not be possible to make a good guess because of the broken base. The attributes that I look for when IDing a point are: general form, cross section shape, basal form and whether it is notched or has a stem. There are others such as presence or absence of grinding/smoothing on the halfting area and base. Once we get a good idea as to the type then we can go forward with how the point was used. This point looks like it was corner notched and flattened in cross section but that is about all I can say for now.

Comment

Hoss, I did include state and general location in the first sentence of my post. It's likely that the Osage or Little Osage were active in the areas that I hunt if that helps...

Sailor joe, thank you for the information you provided...My wife's phone takes better photos and I will attempt to provide better pics later today. I projected light directly on the point when I took the pics but will try different angles in future pics.

I'm old school and still using a Samsung flip phone that was advertised to be their military grade phone...it's been dropped from the deer stand, and exposed to worse abuse and never a break/crack, but I guess it's time for me to upgrade to one that takes better photos.

As always, thank you for the positive, professional feedback gentlemen.

Armyman

Comment

Hey Army - Welcome Aboard. You couldn't have come to a better place to find help and education. There is a wealth of info here. One of the things we all learn nearly right off is how to take pics to best show your artifact for help. Like Hoss says you need to try to get a photo at right angles to the point so it shows the side profile (both sides) better. Of course focus is paramount. You got the size indicator right and included an edge profile as well. Another issue is lighting and you will find the best light is mother nature and daylight. I usually shoot my pics on the front porch railing. As sailorjoe points out, it's hard enough iding a point from a photo without good pictures and you don't have to have a $500 camera to do it either. I have a nikon but my wife's I-phone takes better pics than my camera. I guess that actually isnt a good comparison because her I-phone almost cost as much as my camera. Anyway - we're glad to have you with us and look forward to seeing all the finds you make.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
            X