Third try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third try?

So my parents are starting to travel more in their retirement years. I'm lucky enough to have parents who like to get me a small present from places they go usually a shirt or hat. So I mentioned if you ever see any NA artifacts ohh hint hint. The first attempt was from out west coast cool points but definitely modern. The second attempt of finding me an artifact in their travels was from South America yea I knew already what I was about to see the India slab one knappers. There was a good story and wrapping job with these though! These pictures are their third try. I did tell them about the India points but not the modern nice ones. I was very gracious. So what do y'all think about this. It's huge and only thing I know it supposedly comes from Kerr county Texas. Bought in San Antonio. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Sugaree - That's a super big artifact. IMO it appears authentic and old. How about a pic of the edge on to see the thickness and one from the base so we can see what the cross section profile looks like. I've got some blades in my collection but none that big. Wow.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for response Chuck yea it is one big blade!

Looks like it could have been some kinda axe or agricultural implement. If there was a profile view of the bit end then maybe we could say more. I don't think anyone would fake something like that. Most buyers want something "purty" That is southern for pretty, folks. LOL

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response Joe I really appreciate it! The wife just told me your taking me out tonight so there might be a little delay in the pics.

Could be legit, why anyone would chose to repro artifacts like this is beyond me but you never know.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like a big Trade Blank or sometimes referred to as a Quarry blank. I do not see ny red flags Looks like Texas flint and looks old too.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hoss!

The size the cortex the stacks all suggest it's real and a discard I'MO Edwards the lithic nice present for your age lmao shasweet
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chase sure wish I could find a discard like that!

Whatever it is, it's like everything else in Texas. It's big.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I would agree as authentic .... third times a charm :-)
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Well being that I am a Texan born and raised and a lifetime picker, I assure you it is authentic without a doubt.
        Hoss is spot on with his evaluation.
        (Trade or quarry blank)
        These were taken to areas and traded where lithic materials were either not easily acquired or absent entirely.
        Sometimes the "blanks" are found in caches.
        This one in particular is a goodly size but still rather hefty as far as thickness goes.
        Would take a skilled knapper a bit of doing to keep the size without loosing half of the point itself.
        A keeper none the less.

Jess B.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the response glad to know it's authentic!

Where did my reply go?

​Jessy B.

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Wish I knew? Hey has anyone seen Jess's response anywhere?

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          For some strange reason Jesse the mods had to approve it??? Probably just a glitch either that or the system didn't like that you agreed with me. LOL Either way it is visible now.

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post

Where did my reply go?
        Not sure Jessy ,,, mine done the same thing a few days ago ! Haven't had anymore problems though
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post

Where did my reply go?
          For some reason, and it would have to be accidental, it was marked "unapproved" and not visible any longer. I was able to correct that error and it is now back in the sequence in which it was posted. Sorry for that error, not sure how that happened, but can only assume one of the other moderators or administrators accidently marked it "unapproved" without realizing they had done so.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Tell your folks they "done good"! Bethel said it all!
            Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post

For some reason, and it would have to be accidental, it was marked "unapproved" and not visible any longer. I was able to correct that error and it is now back in the sequence in which it was posted. Sorry for that error, not sure how that happened, but can only assume one of the other moderators or administrators accidently marked it "unapproved" without realizing they had done so.
              Thanks, it had to have been the ole glitch witch I'm sure.
              Sometimes I have had to go to auto save and pull that up and renew my post but this time it did not occur.
              Never the less I still think that is a wonderful artefact.

Jess B.

​Jessy B.

Comment

Working...
              X