Finally, a second find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a second find!

This was in the topsoil under the Apple tree. I was completely stunned! Can anyone help identify it? It's in very northwest Ga in Dalton, so far what I can find is that it's similar to a Palmer.

It look's like a modern gift shop point. Congrat's either way though.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Also, I just want to let You know I'm not being rude. I'm not familiar with Georgia Artifact's, It may be Authentic.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I can assure you that it IS real. We have lived here for 33 years. So we rarely have tourist coming through and dropping store bought points for us to scavenge for.

Comment

Not my area...but congrats!

Comment

Hey Flynn , I have been wondering where you have been .
            I totally believe you found that but I have never seen that lithic in Georgia . That looks like that rootbear flint which I know that’s a made up name but from Texas . You find really old pieces and you never have that lithic . I’ll post a Palmer just found in Georgia and then a fake bought by a friend .

Comment

• Flynn
              Flynn commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, I hope you're well. The color matches the root beer color, chocolate looking. The edges aren't defined on this one. I'm still not sure if it would be a Palmer. There are few other types similar to it. It's just over an inch. I'm just not sure. Thank you so much.

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              You posted these backwards, right Tam?

Yes sir my phone

Comment

I can see the pressure flaking on it, it doesn’t look like a dime store find to me! It’s a lovely little thing, isn’t it?
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Yes I think it is too. I feel so blessed to find it. The flaking is the largest that I have ever seen. I hope to find out what type it is soon. Thank you.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure of the type, being from Ga. But the grayish/blue one is Georgetown Chert, and the other is simply known as Rootbeer Chert/flint, both materials found in huge quantities in Texas.
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Flynn
                    Flynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Would they gave gotten here in north Ga during migration maybe?

• eannis6
                    eannis6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m not commenting about authenticity or anything, I’ll leave that to those more knowledgeable than I, however I am super interested in lithic material. Are you sure it’s Georgetown Chert? I have been knapping with the stuff lately and it looks a bit different, may be the lighting? I’m just curious because I’m really interested!

I'm afraid no one on the forum wants to be strictly honest, and we can't be without hurting your feelings, or causing you to disagree with us. I am not 100%, but I'm about 99% sure the two points are more recent, not prehistoric. Finding those near or under a tree is simply ok. I found a Mason jar full of arrowheads at a bottle dump one time. Some one could have bought those from an early tourist/antique shop, sat near your tree, and planted them there as a token for good luck. The surface flaking, except for the edge, is just to random with large flakes. Authentic, prehistoric points like that would have been thinned out first before being finished and notched. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I've been in this hobby for 60 years, and have seen this scenario hundreds of times. You have already concluded these are ancient, and probably nothing anyone will tell you will change your mind. So just enjoy them, but in the mean time, keep doing research and asking questions, that's how we all learn! By the way, my first 5 arrowheads when I started this hobby at the ripe old age of 12, were mail order points from Ala. They turned out to be Apache Junction points from Arizona, and modern, so I learned very quick how to spot good from modern!
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Flynn
                    Flynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do understand what you are saying here. I do wonder myself about this last find, it doesn't look right. The left side (on one side) has no flakes at all. Its just beveled down, really smooth. I will add some comments to the next post if you want to check it out. Thank you for your honesty. Btw, I don't mind honesty or getting my feelings hurt, I'm a big girl. I would rather know the truth.

Hi Flynn. Congratulations on your find. First of all regarding authenticity: As other members have said your point has characteristics of one that looks to be recently made and I don't deny that their reasoning is solid. And it may be especially if you found it laying loosely on the ground in an area where you've never ever found artifacts or flint chips at that place or quite nearby. But if it is at or nearby an area where artifacts have been found and if the ground has been disturbed by agriculture or construction and I assume it has because you found it under an apple tree then that is solid reason to believe that your point is authentic.. When you said you found it "in the topsoil". I took it to mean that it was buried or at least partially so. So, could it still be a fake? Yes, but not having been with you when you found it I would not say it was not authentic based only on the appearance of this particular point. And there seems to be only one point, not two as per the previous post. Having said that you should know that it is not possible to ID to type all points that we find. Second, it is often very difficult even for experts to identify a type of chert just by looking at a photo. Now if it is authentic: First, the point is definitely not a Palmer. Second, the chert is not from Texas. There are several kinds of chert available not far to the east and northeast of the Dalton area of where you live. Outcroppings of chert should occur in the Lookout Mountain area and also in the Sand Mt. area in nearby Alabama. When chert occurs in sedimentary formations outcroppings often are seen on steep hillsides. Chert cobbles typically occur in the beds of nearby streams. When you said large flakes, you must have meant that they are large compared to the size of the point because the flakes are not particularly large. The point was made from a small piece that was already shaped so that little secondary work was necessary. I have found points where one side was almost devoid of flaking except on the edges. The point was likely used as the tip for an atlatl dart. It looks to me that it could have been made anytime from the late Archaic to the middle of the Woodland period. As to the question of identifiable type: there are many reasons why that it is very often not possible to ID it as a known type and this one may fall in that category. It kinda has s Snyder or Brewerrton Corner notch appearance that are types associated with those times. But it doesn't look like those enough to call it either with any degree of certainty.
                  Last edited by sailorjoe; 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Can't comment on that point but I once found a spot that looked frozen in time - unfinished points, stone tools, flakes all over the place. I went back a few times and noticed that there were more flakes each time and rocks had been moved around, also found boot prints. Dang knappers

Comment

Really good information Joe !
                      bottom line Flynn you find some really old awesome points . If I remember you have a dalton .. red and yellow ?
                      your always going to find awesome points keep looking .

Comment

• Flynn
                        Flynn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes it is. I'm going to comment back to his tomorrow. No Tam I wish I did though. Somebody else.
                    Working...
                    X