ceramic head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic head?

I found this on the Brazos River in Texas. It feels ceramic. Can anyone tell me if this is authentic or a modern decor piece? It's about 2.5 inches by 2 inches. Thanks!

Can't tell if it is old but south American in origin
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That is a very interesting piece for sure. Will you provide us some info as to its size? Like another photo with a quarter coin beside it. And I know you did not find it" on the river". The Brazos River is not a small creek. So without giving us any site specific information will you give us something that can provide us a bit more detail about where you found it? And if you found other artifacts in association with it that may also be helpful. Yes, a dandy piece for sure and one that most of us on this forum never can collect.

Comment

I found it while fossil hunting on a gravel bar. SE Texas. No other artifacts found. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks much for the additional photo. I'm no authority at all about pieces like that but I think I'll try to do a little research. It does look like something from some of the cultures south of the border. Perhaps someone else on the forum can be of some real help to you.

I Know nothing about these things.but it's absolutely fascinating. I know South Americn civilizations traveled north,but wow I'd figure it's really rare to find something like that in tx..ill be watching the threads.thanks for sharing that gem

Comment

Like the rest Gary, I'm not knowledgeable about this type of artifact but the concave back would lead me to believe it was attached to something ?
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Wonder if they decorated walking sticks or something like that.if it fit on something maybe could be..just a random thought

Comment

I doubt it is old but could be wrong. It bears a slight resembelance to Pre Cloumbian Terra Cotta Heads I have seen but those looked to be sculpted and yours looks like it was out of a mold.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Has more of a Myan look then Aztec in culture . But the true test is going to be in someone looking at the material to see what it is made out of , then dating that material . That’s how you will knock out replica in this case .
                Hold on to it till that opputuntiy in a show or relic pro looks at it . You can figure out the culture but the authentication will be your key , not to mention a timeline .
                very cool piece .

Comment

The bellarmine jugs dating back to the 16th & 17thc had the faces carved into the clay, not attached as an adornment. Looks post-contact but don't think the origin is North American.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Just wanted to give an update. I brought this piece to the Houston Museum of Natural Science and was told that it appears authentic, handmade from a soft clay. What it was doing in the Brazos river will remain a mystery.

Comment

• Havenhunter
                      Havenhunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, but authentic what? Did they give you a timeframe and/or likely culture who made it?

Oh great , so glad you did that .
                    Ciolbon the update .
                    Did they give you any other additional information like era
                    What did they tell you about it ?

Comment

that's so awesome,im also curious what they told ya as far as timeframe.and culture that's so fascinating thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                      X