• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Ga Find

Any thoughts what this could be?
    Attached Files

A hoe?
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It's a dandy artifact for sure. What chase said is probably as good a guess as any. A hoe, an axe? It was likely hafted in a manner so that there was a pointed end and a broad end that could be used depending on what the job required. This is just a guess.

Comment

The edges are a little blurry, but thought I could see a little secondary edge work. Probably too big forward a knife though.
        Gary

Comment

That's a beautiful find. Agree with Joe that it was once hafted so hoe is a good guess. Pretty lithic. Congrats!
          Child of the tides

Comment

Sweet find. A biface.
            Searching the fields of Northwest Indiana and Southwestern Michigan

Comment

That's an awesome find! Did you find that yourself or is it from a collection??
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thank all of you so much for your thoughts; helps us to learn more on what we have. I really appreciate. SO much history in the artifact world and so very interesting.

Comment

That sure is a real nice artifact. I agree with Greg. My best guess is that it's a biface and not a finished tool.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

And that’s our local Chert we find there .
                  Common lithic down in S Georgia

Comment

Great artifact. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'd agree with Greg and Ron, too. That's some pretty material and work. Love those base thinning flakes! Biface/Preform. That one large flake in the middle is probably the one that nixed it for finishing they way he wanted it. Still could be used a I've seen "mistakes" made on preforms on all phases of production and every part of a point. These guys were good and quick with making points or they died. At worksites they went through tons of material. Here's what they said, "AAARGH DAYUM!!!!...... Next."
                      Professor Shellman

Comment

• southgeorgiagirl
                        southgeorgiagirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Interesting! That makes sense.

• Ron Kelley
                        Ron Kelley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Tom, I agree. On the bottom center of the picture at least five flakes piled up that make it near impossible to knap through that area.

As you all suggested was able to get these 4 angles. Is this helpful and way to do? I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments so much, has been so helpful
                      Attached Files

Comment

It helps a LOT. IF everyone would post exactly like that, it would be great, mmmmmkay? lol. Can see all the work. Great pics! Perfect, including the measure.
                        Professor Shellman

Comment

Mmkay go it

Comment

Working...
                          X