Can anyone help me identify these finds, Miami county, Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me identify these finds, Miami county, Ohio

These three items are finds from the same area, Miami county Ohio. From the left, the first was found after a healthy rain deluge, the other two are broken points, but of different flint. I found those just today after another deluge of rain. Found more flint pieces today than all the other hunts so far, and several different types and colors. Is anyone familiar with this area or these types of flint. Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Last edited by balddawg; 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM.

Hey Bdawg - I'm not sure they can be identified due to the rough condition but you only show one side of these in all three pics. Please flip them over and lets see the other side - also watch the shadows. I did a very close scrutiny of that last point and was gonna call it a triangular but I started seeing what appears to be a side notch with a ground base. I'll wait til I get a look at the other side.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• balddawg
      balddawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Man I’m sorry. I didn’t realize I used the Sam pic three times. I’ll be posting new ones outside here in a few.

They look like they've been tossed & tumbled, but certainly worth bringing home.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Try some pics in outdoor light. Cloudy or sunny it doesn't matter. I see your post was at night and that would have been kinda tough. Nice finds man...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I hunt MiamiCo, every so often and it’s hard to find a turned field but when I do I find axes and well exhausted points.

Comment

• balddawg
          balddawg commented
          Editing a comment
          What county are you from, I haven’t found any axes or tools that I’maware of. I’ll be posting more pics in the near future.

Here are pics with natural light of the third point

Comment

• Gemcity
          Gemcity commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m from Montgomery County and hit all the surrounding counties whenever I can.

Ok Bdawg - Those are much better pics but as I and others have said they're in rough shape. That first one has most of my interest right now. If I had found that here in Tennessee - I'd be looking very closely at Guilford Round Base (Middle Archaic 6500 - 5000 BP). I'm sure others might disagree but that's where I'm at with it. It's thick, has a relatively blunted point (rather than a longer narrow point) and has a contracting, convex base. Your's shows what could be a haft but I'm chalking that up to wear and tear. The Triangular shaped point - I'm gonna pass on it. What I thought was grinding and a side notch doesn't pan out in the new pics. They're all definitely artifacts but just may not be able to fully identify them.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• balddawg
          balddawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Scorpion, I appreciate the Info. With the rain we got here today that spot will be virgin again.
      Working...
      X