Inherited points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited points

I have recently inherited a collection from a family member and I have probably a silly question. What if I have absolutely no clue of where the points where found? I have pretty much nothing to go on other than the points themselves I have the Overstreet guide 14th ed. however, I've been unsuccessful in even identifying just 1 of the several. It's very overwhelming. Any suggestions?

Clueless, sometimes People just collect locally. Maybe the person moved around quite often though? Maybe there was another family member that might have talked to about their collection. Sometimes the material or point styles are a giveaway. Maybe post them, pictures. What state did The person live in?
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Clueless-- your dilemma isn't unique. We've had other members who have inherited collections, bought artifacts at estate & yard sales, or from antique shops.
      Since you inherited the collection from a family member, any idea where this relative may have lived? You may have to ask other family members. Not knowing whether your relative actually collected the points themselves or acquired them by other means does complicate your identification process.
      If you know where they may have been collected, that helps. As Josh suggested, try posting a few photos of individual pieces. Best taken in natural light & use a scale or quarter in the photo to judge size. We will try to help you as much as possible. I know looking through the Overstreet book when you don't know where to start is mind blowing.
      --Deb
      Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to Ah.com post some pic's and that will be a start.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hello Clueless and welcome to the site. I agree with Deb and Josh. There has to be someone who has some idea of where the collection came from but maybe not. Your dilemma is also shared by many archaeologists as well. There are a great many collections that have become "orphaned" by that I mean inherited, bought or traded and the origin of the artifacts is unknown. I have learned about this because I know the curator of a local museum and he has about 50 or so collections that people donated upon the death of the original owner and there is no history of the origin. Post up some pics. There are some very good ID folks on this site that can lend some friendly advice. Again welcome...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Welcome from southwestern Ontario.

Comment

Welcome, hopefully we can help you
              South Dakota

Comment

Hi, I'm Tom. You can see in my profile I come from Tampa Bay.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome , post some pics .

Comment

Working...
                  X