No Idea What This Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Idea What This Is...

Found in a field in Fairfield County, Ohio...I have no idea if it is natural or man made...
    Last edited by Helldogg; 10-12-2018, 05:57 PM.

Interesting HD. I've never seen anything like that and would be surprised if it were natural. But - like you, I'm more interested in finding out what it is.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Some more pictures....clearly squared off on the end.
      Attached Files

Comment

interesting stone, but I'm thinking it's natural.

Comment

I have never seen anything like this here before both in the creeks and in fields. I thought it could possibly be natural but what is strange is that it is almost perfectly rectangular on one side. The other side is broken off at a 45 degree angle.

Comment

Wow, that is strange. I haven't the foggiest.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Kat69
              Kat69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Right

Looks like sedimentary layers to me. I think it’s a natural stone.
            South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
              Looks like sedimentary layers to me. I think it’s a natural stone.
              Thank you for the input...I appreciate it.

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                It does but you never know

I would save that and take it to a show . See what some of the others there say . University if possible .
              Like Chuck said very interesting and would love to know what that is .

Comment

I dig it! I would keep it no matter what it turns out to be

Comment

I'd go natural on that as well but a cool find none the less. I have a whole pile in the landscaping of interesting pieces I've come across and brought home.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

One last picture showing it is almost sharped like a perfect rectangle.
                    Last edited by Helldogg; 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM.

Comment

SDhunter mentioned sedimentary layers and I researched this. Most of the research shows this kind of rock formation is found in the western United States...That is why I find this a bit dumbfounding for the flatlands of Ohio. Were I live is farther west from the foothills of the Apallacian Mountains. The other real puzzling thing is I have never seen anything like this here and I have hunted for arrowheads and rocks all my life in this area.

Comment

I sent these same pictures to the earth science department at the Ohio State University and I will let you know if I get a response back.

Comment

I don't believe it displays sedimentary layering, but I do believe it's a natural rock.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                          X