My first stab at ID and whatizzit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first stab at ID and whatizzit?

This l'il bugger got me pretty jazzed up. Pic is not really "insitu" but that's exactly where I picked it up in the background. Sittin right on top under a l'il pine tree.
    I'm thinkin an Alamance, mebbe? Kinda resembles a coupla others, tho'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AlamanceMebbe.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	327952 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alamance2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	327953 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alamance3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	327954

Then there was this broke. But it got me cause I was thinkin "paleo somethin-or-other". Prolly way wrong. Hehehe. Insitu. Thiiiinnn. Was scared I was gonna break it again for a while. Looks like it may have been broken when it was being made. There's that weird piece on the broken tip that doesn't line up right. Mebbe it was too thiiinn from the get go and Homer flubbed it (were there Indian curse words?). Looks like he mighta been doin pretty good there for a bit, tho'.

Name:	InSituThin.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	327956 Click image for larger version

Name:	ThinTopside.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	327960 Click image for larger version

Name:	ThinBottom.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	327959 Click image for larger version

Name:	ThinSideQuarter.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	327958

Gonna post more later. Thanks in advance for help with these so mebbe I can start gettin a grip on the whole ID gig. Seems a skosh subjective right now.
    I'm gonna stick my nose back in that Carolina Rhyolite thread I'm tryin to decipher. d:^)
    Attached Files
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Hi,

I think the triangle is a Yadkin and the second one is a narrow stem Stanley. Others may disagree but I’m not seeing enough ground area on the base to call the first one an Alamance. Both are nice finds! You are in a really great area to find artifacts but stay off the federal land. This is a great site and you’ll like it here. It’s great to see some good artifacts coming out of the ground! Makes me want to go kick some dirt!

Von

Comment

Originally posted by Von View Post
      Others may disagree but I’m not seeing enough ground area on the base to call the first one an Alamance. Both are nice finds! You are in a really great area to find artifacts but stay off the federal land. This is a great site and you’ll like it here. It’s great to see some good artifacts coming out of the ground! Makes me want to go kick some dirt!Von
      No problem stayin off Fedzilla's domain. It's a pretty good sized hunt club in a very good location. Our most senior member is bringing in a few of his displays to show me. He's been collecting artifacts there for a long time. Lookin forward to seeing that. Mebbe this week.
      Made another quick pic of the rear to see if that helps. Dunno if that's what ya call ground or not. Kinda thin, for sure.
      Thanks for checkin'em out! d:^)

Name:	AlamanceRear.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	327973

Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        every year there are five or six good shows in North Carolina. If you want to see some good artifacts from your area attened a show. I like that Yadkin it is some pretty flow banded rhyolite.

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        There was Yadkin, Alamance and another one it was kinda-sorta like according to projectilepointsdotnet.. Vincent Triangle. But the area is wrong.
        What makes it not an Alamance? Just tryin to learn.
        I've got it planned to goto that one Jim Maus puts on in Clemmons this spring.
        Know of any others? I'd be all over that. d:^)
        Last edited by HawgBonz; 10-26-2018, 09:27 PM.

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        There’s a show in Greensboro every year in September. The Clemmons show in the spring is good. Sometimes they have it in Winston Salem.

Von

It’s hard to say but it could be an Alamance? North Carolina is a weird place to hunt artifacts. I’ve found Kirk’s, Stanley’s, Morrow Mountain’s, Guilford’s and woodland triangles along broken pottery in the same plowed field. No rime or reason to it? It’s like the whole place was turned upside down and shook up way back when. Nice find either way! Looking forward to seeing more. Take a few pics of the old timers collection. I’m sure he has some good stuff.

Von
      Last edited by Von; 10-26-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        There's definitely a variety. I'm in the hard turn of the learning curve, I think. We'll see how it plays out.
        So far it's very enjoyable. Easier to tote outta the woods than a hog, too! (But don't taste nearly as good) d;^)

I use to hunt down that way on the game lands a lot. Mostly around Badin and High Rock Lakes. I would get down below Badin every now and then. I haven’t hunted in years. I keep thinking I’ll have time to get back into it? Still have most of my gear. Maybe someday?

Von
      Last edited by Von; 10-26-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        I live in north Davidson County near Welcome. I was down that way for the car show a couple weeks ago. I would be there for the BBQ festival but I gotta work.

Von

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm right near Central Davidson HS. Kris gets her hair done in Welcome and we're goin to the BBQ Festival tomorrow. Moved here last year right after it and she wants to check it out. All I've ever heard is that it's a ripoff. d:^)

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s fun but I would like to see a little variety in the BBQ but that’s not going to happen. If someone tried to set up a Eastern style BBQ stand they would burn it to the ground!! LOL It has become commercialized and there’s a bunch of vendors selling all kinds of craft type stuff. They do get some really good talent there so the music is great and it’s all free. I remember seeing Taylor Swift there before she made it big.

Von

I found this in my yard when we first moved in. My wife has given me permission to dig up and remove our hedge bushes in the front this winter. Im hoping I’ll find something?

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yayyy!! I can bring the tractor with the backhoe! We can make a real mess! Hehehe. d;^)
        We're pretty far up the hill from the river basin. But it wouldn't be too far fetched that they had a camp up here I reckon.
        Ya never know. But it'd be a half mile hike down to the water.

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        I use to sell construction like room additions and sunrooms. I remember a customer that lived on the lake near you that had a nice collection he had found and bought from other folks. That area has been picked over but there’s still plenty of stuff in the ground.

Von

If you go to the BBQ festival visit the Antique store near Lanier’s Hardware. They always have a few neat artifacts and the old timer that runs it is a artifact collector himself . I drop in there every now and then just to chat with him.

Von

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do!
    Working...
    X