Rock with Two Identical Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock with Two Identical Holes

Road trip today to a creek I enjoy playing in.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1339 (640x480).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	328500 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1342 (640x480).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	328501
    Lots of gravel, deer, and a few pieces of flint. I picked up this rock because of the two identical holes in it.

Name:	DSC_3514 (640x571).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	328503
    It has a color change around the holes and a slight perpendicular dent between them one side.

Name:	DSC_3513 (640x427).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	328505

Name:	DSC_3519 (640x427).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	328504
    It's pretty beat up from the creek but I'm thinking man made. Any opinions and input would be most appreciated.
    Good Luck out there, fldwlkr (creekwalker today)
    Attached Files
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

I don't see what else it could be. It has to be man made
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Interesting piece. Is it a sedimentary rock? Are those little round fossils in it? At first glance it looks man made to me. Just a though, it looks like rust stains around the two holes. Could it have been a make shift shim of some kind? Two holes drilled into it, two bolts with washers put into holes? Would explain the round orange stains. Again, just thinking out loud. Lets see what others think.
      Central Ohio

Comment

I think the staining around both holes may be very good indicators there were inclusions of some kind in those holes.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Wondering do the holes have any drilling or are they smooth inside.sometimes you will see like lines or drill turns.

Comment

After further review, I am less inclined to go with man made. The few pieces I have that are drilled have conical holes and are drilled from both sides. These holes have little or no taper. It is made of sandstone and the area is sick with banded slate, so why use sandstone? Not sure how it came to be, maybe Crinoid stacks.
            I'm gonna hang on to it for awhile just in case, fldwlkr
            Last edited by fldwlkr; 10-30-2018, 05:55 AM. Reason: Conical not comical
            Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

...conical holes, or at least one opening larger than the flip side... that would be Native drilled. FWIW I once found some broken up slate shingles that had holes and for about 5 minues I thought I found an ancient artifact, until I found a bunch more rectangular ones a few yards away in a pile

LOL

New Jersey

Comment

Just a thought. It could be limestone that has had two crinoid fossils errode out of it.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                X