Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding stone, net weight, or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding stone, net weight, or something else?

This stone has been floating around our house for many years, used as a doorstop, bookend, decoration etc.. I live in Delta County, Colorado which is historically Ute country. I don't know, however, whether this artifact was found locally or came from somewhere else.
    I was always told that it was a corn grinding stone, and that the grooves where there for gripping. I'm looking through photos on this and other sites, and haven't found anything really similar in that category. I have seen photos of net weights with grooves cut into them lengthwise, and honing tools with grooves but the ones on this don't seem as deep.
    Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

I've tried to take several photos from different angles. (I moved the photo session from outdoors to inside as the sun was so bright I coudn't see to take them, which is why the light and background are different.) It looks almost like a different object when you move from one side to the other of the stone.
    Since the post limits to 8 photos I will also post all my photos in my profile album.

Reminds Me of what People call a Loaf-Stone.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• kmcd
      kmcd commented
      Editing a comment
      What would a Loaf-stone been used for?

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no idea.

Looks like a multi-use stone
    hammer / pestle / sharpening stone
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• kmcd
      kmcd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that's an interesting idea..I didn't know multi-use tools were made but it totally makes sense!

Abrading Stone.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Nice piece KMCD,
      As part of the knapping process you see modern knappers sand the edge of their flint prior to striking, that is what the line in the stone is from, occasionally you will see rocks with wider areas on them. My thought on those were once the wear from the flint edge sharpening became wide and deep enough they would use them for shaft abraders to smooth their arrows, which it appears to have happened with one of the cut lines on yours. But would ally with Olden on the fact that you have the Swiss Army knife of hardstone tools as well! The close ups sure look like this artifact was utilized as a hammerstone and pestle as well. Neat artifact, and obviously in added value it is handy as a door stop! LOL cool piece_Bill

Comment

• kmcd
        kmcd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Your explanation helps me understand a lot about the stone. I thought I might make a trip to Montrose, CO which is about 60 miles from where I live, and visit the Ute Indian Museum there..it is said to have an extensive collection of Ute artifacts. It would be interesting to discover whether this was common practice, to make a multi-tool, or if it's a one-off. If I make it there I will post back and let everyone know what I learn!

• wmwallace
        wmwallace commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to have helped, let us know what you find out. And while you are there at the Ute museum tell the spirit of Captain Jack (one of their chiefs I believe) hello! Just get ready, once you go into a museum your fever and addiction to this hobby has the potential to double and triple!!! Keep us posted _ Bill

That’s a nice piece ! I love my tools and what everyone here said is a fact . Muti porpose tools are interesting . Think of yourself working . Example : I have a hammerstone pecked to heck on one side with nice abrading lines on the side then it has on the top what looks like a polishing area . Back then your not going to haul around 3-4 stones to do one job .
      My 2 cents .

Comment

Yes, and I'm guessing a stone like this was maybe used for one task and the person thought it was just the right size and weight for another job. Perhaps it was being used to grind, and since the end was fairly flat it was also used as a pestle.
        Tools like this truly give you a tiny feel of life of the user..you hold it and feel the shape that another person felt, you wonder if the same person who found it always used it, whether it was passed down, how many generations might have owned it.

Comment

Working...
        X