• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Bead?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4864.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	359800 On Sunday I went out to a spot in Jackson County NC with TXmailDude34. It's the same spot where I had hopes of finding a trade bead two posts ago. Not far from our starting point on top of a plowed row sat a bead n Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4866.PNG
Views:	192
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	359799 o way!! Well it sure looks and feels like it is made of glass. ItIt does have a ding or two. This field is known to produce trade beads. Some dating to around 1730. The top and bottom have a ring around it not sure if it's how it cracked or how it's made or maybe indicating something more modern. I just did a google search on trade beads and a Wikipedia picture sure looks similar as well as a picture on Peach State Archeological site. Also did a search on this site and checked out the Trade Bead page learned a lot. Well what do ya think just wishful thinking or a Trade Bead?
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Nice find I know nothing on beads but I’d be interested in seeing what others say. Maybe Dennis will see this he finds a lot of beads
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew very little about trade beads until this week also so really I don't know much. I've been obsessed by them since finding it though. As our hobby usually does, it's sent me in many historical directions especially Western NC settlement timeframes.

For now a definite maybe. You find a few more eventually you'll know for sure. Hope so.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg! The promising thing is that this field definitely produces trade beads. The last time I hunted this field I found a modern plastic Bead in the middle of the field while looking for beads? But yea I'm feeling very good about it but really don't know. I did reread your Hudson Trade Bead post again thank you great info!

Looks beady.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice Marshall . could be... a plastic one...now .This? Hmm. .. there's definitely a connection? Crazy man
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely crazy found it immediately then scoured rest of field no more. It's an interesting part of our history.

Could it be ivory?
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess it could be but I'm definitely leaning towards glass. The ones that have been found in this field originate from Italy and are made of glass just hope mine is one of those.

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Gasp ....I never thought of that Jethro . It fits the area .

I would lean towards trade bead your third thumbnail pic from the the left shows a divot. which would indicate porcelain.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks chase!! When I did a Trade Bead search on this site I saw where pkfrey posted a booklet on trade beads by Gary Fogelman. It's for the North East but looks like a good booklet so I might try and find it.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice trade bead good eye .

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!!

Congratulations. It sure looks like one.
          South Dakota

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Gary!

Well I have never found on except in my mail box lol.
          certainly a treat of a find .

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tam!

That’s cool! Good find man.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jay!

Sure looks like a good one to me, not familiar with the all white ones, I have a few but I also know in what I have studied there are a boat load of varieties. Colors and types when you start to study those gems will drive you batty. To me the beads make typing points seem easy!! Lol. The only think that I do not know is if different styles of beads dominated in different areas here when the trading was going on. That would be an interesting study. Awesome find though, I pray you find more, have you seen any of the other beads recovered in that area?? Might help you out in your quest to know.

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks wmwallace! Yes I have seen another bead that came from this field. I've been obsessed with the first contact period lately. I've got a lot to learn!

Hey Marsh, I'm glad you were able to find that bead. It's not plastic, I can assure you. Look at how imperfect it is. It is handmade. We need to find more!

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Adam!! It's one of my favorite finds. Probably 130 years older then any non NA made artifact I've ever found.

That's awesome!
          South Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Josie!
        Working...
        X