Incised, and Then Some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incised, and Then Some

So, yesterday I received a package, from a friend I know from elsewhere in the artifact forum universe, containing several artifacts from Almeida Co., Ca. From around San Francisco Bay. Among several pieces were a couple of what I believe are discoidal-like manos, very nice, and this really cool incised stone. After reading some about incised rocks from Ca., I believe it is either sultstone or steatite. It does have a somewhat soapy feel, but I suspect siltstone. I found this older paper, among other sources:

And I zeroed in on this passage:

"Engraved stone artifacts are occasionally found in archaeological sites throughout coastal Southern California. While the size, type of stone material, and design vary considerably, they should not be confused with the more commonly found "incised stones" which are obviously honing or sharpening instruments. The latter range from a few random lines to seemingly elaborate patterns, but the lines are not deeply cut".

The suggestion is that the latter type of incised stone, functional artifacts, were honing stones for bone and wood artifacts. I have a long standing interest in incised stones, ancient ones, such as the famous examples from the Paleo era Gault site in Texas, and other seemingly non functional examples, such as this one from my own collection, and seen at the very bottom of this page from our Information Center:

In that case from my collection, seen is a classic crosshatch pattern, one of the most common motifs in North American petroglyphs, and indeed, one with a world wide distribution. Although my colleague, archaeologist and petroglyph researcher Ed Lenik, felt my rock might be a net weight, and the crosshatch an image of a net, I disagree. The crosshatch is just too universal, and I don't think the rock is other then non-functional with a classic crosshatch.

This very cool rock I am guessing falls in the functional category. Among other features I find interesting is that some lines wrap around to a degree. There is at least one line that is continuous around the entire stone, the stone being about 4 1/4" long x 2 3/4" wide x about 1" at its thickest.

It has one flat face, and one convex face. Here are a few shots of the flat face, with some shots showing the wrap around nature of the incised lines:

Click image for larger version

Name:	F998715A-9D68-4896-B589-4E478B4794AB-1197-0000008C7B6771CA.jpeg
Views:	858
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	360801

Name:	C9D6C9F3-06D4-4B80-96E9-22453C3CF950-1197-0000008CE0542D7E.jpeg
Views:	611
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	360802 Click image for larger version

Name:	246F2E00-D4CA-443D-9C9E-15279FC9ED2C-1197-0000008CA7B2393F.jpeg
Views:	578
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	360803

Rhode Island

Again, showing wrap around lines:

Name:	CB67D02B-2A9E-42BF-9DAF-77848F897221-1197-0000008D186202F3.jpeg
Views:	559
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	360807

And the obverse, or convex face. The long vertical
    line wraps around the entire stone as a continuous line:

Name:	89564403-2776-46C2-AB77-52ADFDBBF5DE-1197-0000008D5CFC9FA7.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	360808

And a side view:

Name:	18D19A5A-4EF7-4A7E-8409-6EC83888D26B-1197-0000008D8E3012C4.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	360809 Putting in "What did I find?" in case others have different ideas, whether this be functional, or just a "mysterious" incised stone" I am somewhat surprised that we do not find such things in my region, unless, perhaps, we include so-called sinew stones.....

Rhode Island

Comment

Really interesting stone, Charlie.

Comment

Interesting . There seems to be a tremendous amount of pecking throughout te artifact as well. Very cool Charl.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I love it ! That is all I’m saying. I’m not about to fuss with Greg or you about the artifact. I will say that like you, I have a deep interest !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
            I love it ! That is all I’m saying. I’m not about to fuss with Greg or you about the artifact. I will say that like you, I have a deep interest !
            Well, I can go with functional, as in honing wood or bone, or even dulling or grinding the base of points, but the wrap-around aspect strikes me as awkward if honing or dulling something. So I am not at all certain if this was functional or something else altogether. Most of the incised and engraved stones I examined from Southern California yesterday, in various papers, had more obvious patterns. Indeed, there is an entire lexicon of geometric styles encountered, and named. Like crosshatch. Here, the wrap-around onto a curved surface, and the presence of a line continuous around the entire stone strikes me as a bit odd if it were functional. Of course, if I have not spelled it out, I much prefer the possibility of a non functional inscribed rock, since that would be much cooler, I think. But functional seemed the path of least resistance. However, not being an authority on inscribed rocks, and, in particular, California examples, I'm not knowledgeable to know for certain. But it is one cool rock, and I love it too!

Rhode Island

Comment

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like soapstone found in Alameda County .

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Dennis. I was hoping you would see this thread, and offer insight on the material and/or the artifact itself.

That looks very cool! Search me about why they did that.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice Charlie...that is very interesting....the lines look very random ... as in some kind of use....tuff one
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Charlie , you got me thinking about the wrap around and honing . Think of a piece of ivory or shell . Anything coming around the corner could make more of an edge or bevel to the outside edge instead of going back and forth .
                a kind of fine finishing if you can imagine holding a piece and pulling it around the edges to fine tune it .
                probably another artifact for sure . Hard to explain but I have done this on filing pieces of jewelry I make .

Comment

This would work for shell beads very well . I have done this myself .

Comment

Neat looking stone Charlie you always amaze me with post like this I will read it completely tonight after work. I wonder if they ever used grit pottery as a sharpening tool I have a piece that has lines on it. Yours is stone so probably used in the making of points.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

So random, length, location, distance, depth, width. Wish I could see it in hand.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That's a very interesting stone.

I hope it's not impertinent to make a couple of observations.

I'm confused by the randomness of the scarring in the sharpening theory. I would expect to see deeper and more regular grooves with softer more worn edges. I would like to examine places where lines bisect with a loop to understand better.

I would think if you were sharpening a tool you might return to the same groove multiple times due to it's favourable position in relation to your grip and that the existing groove provides purchase. Imagine after extended wear you might start a new one but the artifact has lines in random and awkward place (including the wrap around scars).

In some ways the idea that it was a net weight could account for the wrap around scars. If it was a softer stone maybe tightly wrapped sinew or cordage could, over time , cause some of those marks. Yet other marks seem not to be consistent with that idea.

I think If I found it I would assume it to be wonderful and most likely natural. Obviously, that's not the case.
                        California

Comment

• tomf
                          tomf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks a bit like the stone from SB205 (lower left figure 11 in the report)

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. I did notice the resemblance to a stone in figure 8 from the article as well. Thanks for your observations as well.

I think it's a shamans' crazy stone showing the war of the worlds - burn some sage and leave a little food out for it.

Guess there could be a more down to earth explanation though.. a small bit of info. can be gleaned about incised stones from the Sacramento River Canyon (pay to PDF)

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, Don. Wish that one was free!

99% of those lines just look like random etching.

Except this area....

These three lines look structured.

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. Yes, just looked closely, those are three very short strokes for hypothetical sharpening grooves.
                      Working...
                      X