California collection ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California collection ID help

This is two parts of a collection that my family has been packing around for generations and I am having the hardest time gathering any real info on time periods or who made them etc. All of the obsidian points were found in the tule lake region in far north California. Everything not obsidian was found North of Bishop in between Bishop and Mono Lake. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I dont know much about artifacts but it seems weird to me to have so many distinct types and styles within the two sets. Would love some more educated opinions.

Comment

What about the beads let’s see them to. I can’t help with the types but we do have some members from California that probably can. What are you going to do with the collection?
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• NV_JD
        NV_JD commented
        Editing a comment
        posted some better pictures of the beads, I know nothing about them but seem to be a mix of glass beads with bone or some sort of stone, not sure what the weird crescent is either but it seems to be stone of some sort and not iron. As for what I'm doing with it....no idea yet, I am just finally at an age that stuff like this interests me more and more. I've had this all for a number of years and have never thought twice about them until recently.

Welcome. Nice collection.
      Be patient there are a few folks from out your way on the forum. Eventually they will stop in and hopefully be able to help you out.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Love your collection.

I'm in Napa County and I find a lot of obsidian too.

I'm coming to the conclusion that artifacts from the Northern California are particularly hard to type (I haven't had much success, at least). Not sure if it's from lack of study or a failure to disseminate the results. Or maybe it's just me being too dumb to match against the database.

Anyhow, I'm far from an expert (having only recently developed this obsession) but I'm after the same kind of info as you.

If you check out some of my threads you'll see points quite similar to yours.

Like you, I feel I'm dealing with several distinct styles likely from different times. Your collection seems to show it clearly.

Your stemmed and notched points are mostly complete and quite distinctive, I reckon they might be easier to type.

Wait for somebody who knows more.
        California

Comment

The beads I was told my grandpa collected near tule lake California and then he kept them on string and fishing line to keep track of them.

Comment

The bead that is blue looks like a possible owl any chance of getting a better pic of it?
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Of course, but forgive my ignorance...there is a ton of blue beads in there. Are you asking about a specific one? Or just the blue ones in general.

Comment

Having spent many years in the Bishop area when I was younger, I don't believe the non Obsidian points are from that area. Most of those do not look typical of that area and most points from that area should also be made from Obsidian like the points from the Tule Lake area. In my opinion, about 90% of the points from there are typically Obsidian.

The Obsidian points from the Tule area are somewhat hard to type as they are somewhat crudely made but I'll take a stab at a few.

Row 1 , Left to right - Large Rose Gate series point, ? , Cascade, ?,?, Elko, Gatecliff, Elko
                Row 2 , Left to right - Gatecliff, ?, ?, Elko, Rose Springs, Side Notched, Elko, Very Nice Rose Springs

The mixture of beads certainly look like the types found in both of the places you mentioned.
                Last edited by Pointblank; 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Nice collection. Thank you for sharing
                  South Dakota

Comment

You should try reading the book dozens of Farwest arrowheads by F Scott Crawford. I got it on Amazon for about $10 for the hard copy and the ebook was free

Comment

Working...
                    X