Help identifying a first find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a first find

Hello, first post on the forum hoping someone might provide details on this artifact. My father-in-law has farmed this field in Livingston County, Missouri for close to 40 years and never had a discovery. Last week while spraying the field he noticed a rock and decided to pick it up on the next pass to keep it out of the combine. He knew he had something based on the shape and grooves. The material appears to be granite and shows few signs of shaping. I would appreciate any additional information you can provide. Would like to know what it's called (hammer, tomahawk, ax), how it may have been made, and an idea of the age. Thanks in advance for the help.

Beautiful 3/4 groove axe. Great piece!
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome. As Charles stated, it's a 3/4 groove axe, so named because the groove encircles 3/4 of the stone. There are also full groove axes, and axes with no grooves are known as a celt. They were all woodworking tools. That is a large and very fine example. You can see many examples of axes in this thread from our Info Center:

This was found by my dad when he was checking hogs. A sow that didnt have its nose rung was rooting this artifact out of the ground. http://vb5.arrowheads.com

This illustration describes steps in the production of a full groove axe, as well as suggested hafting methods:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6A406C66-847F-4856-A3BE-2123C96BAAF0-17047-000007B9057FC7C3.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	377496
      Hardstone tools are far rarer then flaked stone artifacts, such as points, scrapers, drills, etc. That is an exceptional find!
      Rhode Island

Comment

That’s a good lookin axe! Congrats to your father-in-law on the awesome artifact find!
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That is an awesome nfind. Congratulations on a fne 3/4 groove axe
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Awesome find....wish I'd stumble across one of those
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

If I was to only find one that would be the one I would want to find. Beautiful ax
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Find out where he found it there should be something else in that area

Welcome to the form and that is a nice 3/4 groove axe. Almost has to be other item in that field.
              SE IA

Comment

Outstanding axe!
                "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Beautiful find, 1X....tell your Dad “good eye, and good looking out”. That’s a heck of a nice piece.
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That's a gorgeous axe congratulations

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding! Really appreciate the information. I printed out the thread so he would have the details to read. Very exciting. Thanks again!

Comment

Now if you go to the spot and find something else don’t forget to come back and share it should be some points in that area. You might not find another ax due to it’s rare but it’s not impossible. Thanks for sharing it
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

Where abouts in Livingston county? My family has been in the Chula area for a hundred years probably.

Comment

Main farm is south on 65, 1/2 way between Carrollton and Chillicothe.

Comment

• clovisoid
                              clovisoid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don’t think I would be that specific. County is more than enough.
                          Working...
                          X