Whetstone maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whetstone maybe?

Black material, contouring for a right-handed grasp small flat area in the bottom, stained with brown.

Maybe natural did you find it in a waterway?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Run it under some water...after that...ill agree that it is wetstone😉
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Smarty! ....just coz you find all cool stuff!

Jk...someone will tell ya for sure
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Fits in hand perfectly...as many rocks do, you will know when you find an artifact. Read read read familiarize yourself with flaking, and eliminate using process of elimination. The light will appear sometimes out of nowhere! Keep at it and it will happen. Walk fields and creeks and when that artifact jumps out at you it is such a great feeling! It's the reason many of us go and go till we are tired.
        North Carolina

Comment

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          I have experience with quarts, when the tool is new is difficult to know what is it, (some are complex) but when they are used a lot you find the surface in contact with the hand very soft, you just try to wrap it with all fingers and palm, you wont miss, the coarse parts still rough, the part in contact with the hand soft, that's why I talk about hand fit, then they reveal what are they used for. Not all material are flint. Oldowans A And B used Quartz and Basalt in Africa hundreds of thousands years back in time. then they worked with obsidian, the ancestors worked with materials available in their areas, the know how to craft them was in their heads.

There are so many rocks that fit in the hand perfectly. Like Utilized said, read, read read, and find pictures of authentic artifacts. Stay away from any sites that show pictures of rock art though.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          All my rocks are beautiful, and most look like something, someone; and, all my bigger ones fit perfectly in my hand! But, I suppose that’s why I pick them up, coz they’re special!!

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a condition (don't worry, my mom has it, I have it, I think we all have it to some degree) where folks see a picture, or a person in an object. Very common, but just because you see something, doesn't mean it is something.

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          Just one article for you and if somebody wants to open their minds, also get the facts jeje.
          The Transition to the Acheulean in East Africa: An Assessmet of Paradigms and Evidence from Olduvai Gorge (Tanzania) this is the name of the book or article, if you want the true, enjoy!

This in the same place not a river, top of the hill Marion NC, Granite I guess. nice shape, don't know what exactly what is it? is curved, sharp in the first part of the blade, blunt in the tip. I will say a scraper, it fits very good and the edge of the blade is facing down. Am I wright?
        Thank for the comments I even like the sarcasm, it's very human, sometimes hasty, without more proof than a bad picture or the rest of the picture. the rock art is fun, just imagination, won't doubt that our ancestors did some type of art (very possible), in the stones is just a fun game. Just couple days ago I found that flat stone with a woman face, beautiful and incredible resemblance of a woman, not telling here that somebody did that, I bet against and If somebody can will be my hero.

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          O you got it easy Petto ! At least nobody’s told you “go play with your rocks!” yet!

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          Guys that hard to appreciate a Scraper in Diorite?, never saw one, here you have. and yes will be great to study a lot of geology, but I'm in this forum learning and sharing, will stay no matter what some say, I'm respectful & rookie too, but I may teach you one or two.
          Last edited by Gepettojuan; 12-26-2019, 08:47 PM.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          They did use that material some times I had a broken point and have a bi face made from it in my collection so it's not impossible its something. I'm not sure about the other things though

Oh geez, you really need to join a geology forum
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          didnt like the scraper?

Ok. Here goes: this novice thinks it’s possible your “whetstone” could’ve been used as a grinder (a.k.a. Mano, & lotsa other names). The flattened part looks slick and shiny in pics; a whetstone would be rough so would abrade better.
        Last edited by Cecilia; 12-26-2019, 07:10 PM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          not grinder
          grinder is coarse
          this is ultra soft

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Only unused grinders stay coarse.

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          To be precise, a whetstone is a sharpener for a tool. Abrader woul be more like it Here is a link to more info, below this post.

I found this item many years ago at a dig site? The edges are very smooth as if it was used to hone or polish something . Not sure about the tallies either.

Link to pictures of several authentic "whetstones" or abraders.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Gepettojuan
          Gepettojuan commented
          Editing a comment
          Very cool all of them, I have some abraders (slight different than those) the one in sandstone looks familiar, it has redish and golden shines, also I have a big block in sandstone with different working surfaces with different angles, like a work bench, soon sharing it here.
          definetly my black tool looks more like a sharpner.

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, KP. Good stuff! Thought I’d cruised thru backstuff well, but clearly did not!

This is the complete article. very cool lots of work to accomplish it, revealing true about us and our tools.
        Last edited by Gepettojuan; 12-26-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not a tool. It's a rock, unmodified for use as a tool.....

Trying to be nice here... But do you have pictures of any arrowheads you can share with us? I'm not doubting that they aren't tools or anything...its just that there is no work IE flake removal to facilitate sharpening of any kind. But hey on a positive note your pictures of pretty rocks are getting way better!
        North Carolina

Comment

Not responding to this thread woi.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

I'm struggling to follow you geppettojuan, your posting rocks quartz or granite stones claiming as tools and referencing archaeological reports from Africa as some kind of proof of what I'm not sure? It really makes no sense because there really is no comparison between the two besides they both used lithic stone to create tool but in extremely different ways on a different timescale. I understand if your trying to learn and your confused about what ancient artifacts from your area look like but your way off base with your assessment of the rocks your showing.
            I also just noticed you posted a quartz flake on another person's thread showing there personal find from out west... We refer to that as piggybacking and it's bad forum etiquette and a bad case at that considering there is nothing relatable about your confusing post. So it leaves me to wonder are you here to try to learn about actual artifacts or are you messing with us?
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Gepettojuan
              Gepettojuan commented
              Editing a comment
              Its an interesting document yes from Africa from the origins, long but good, not messing with anybody for sure, didn't know about sharing pics in others posts sorry for that.
              the info is really good, old tools used long time ago in Africa where crafted here long time after. Also the tools have a lot of resemblance in very different times and the materials used same as here basalt granite quartz obsidian and others. no big deal. sorry again bye.

I am out

Comment

Working...
            X