Granite point Summerville SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite point Summerville SC

so I am very knew to points and I’ve been told tonight that points were not made of granite if that is true I’m fixing to prove it untrue

So after reading up on here a little bit I’m going to guess and say utilized flake although I did see on projectilepoints.net that granitic gneiss was a material used in South Carolina

Comment

This was also found in a creek where tons of vertebrate fossils are found from the chandler Bridge formation

Comment

Sorry I don't see any NA modification. Me thinks natural.
        SE IA

Comment

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the only shot where a person might conclude they were looking at a point. But, once light is cast upon the piece, it's granitic nature becomes apparent.

Originally posted by Deadhunt View Post
          so I am very knew to points and I’ve been told tonight that points were not made of granite if that is true I’m fixing to prove it untrue
          No, wrong approach, actually. Being new to the hobby, odds are experienced collectors are telling you the truth. Odds are not as high that you could prove it untrue. In this case, it's pretty clear you're showing a rock and not an artifact. Wrong material, and showing no human modification. Just a suggestive shape, no more. Not a problem, there is a learning curve whenever one is new to an activity.

Rhode Island

Comment

Over excited lol sorry, not my intention to be rude.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the site ! We are all trying to get on the same page, even us old timers! There is always something to learn or pass on..JJ

Seeing Charlie has spoken as it not being a artifact I'm going to side with him. He finds many materials of points and knowledge is everything when it comes to this. Its not a material I've ever found. Always good to ask.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm just going by the fact it does look like a granitic rock, which cannot be knapped.

Its shaped just like a Morrow Mountain. It would have tricked me too!
            keep on keepin after

Comment

I’d have picked it up!
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Yeah me to .

Comment

Thanks guys I’m still not convinced it’s not the more I look at it I see shiny bits that seem to have flaked away somehow

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you had posted photos that were actually in focus, it would help all of us. The "shiny bits" look like mica. It's a piece of granitic rock, out of focus, but not so out of focus to see clearly that it is not flaked, nor could it be flaked.....

I know it’s unheard of but it was in the sawmill branch creek

Comment

Apparently other granitic rock shaped mountain morrows have been found 🤔

For those of you who have not followed my and Cannonman's debate about this item, her is the brief. I am convinced that it is in fact an arrowhead and probably a Morrow Mountain. He is 99% certain that it is just a rock. My scanned pics do not depict the proper thicknesses and other features...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                      Ron Kelley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Deadhunt, Did you read the comments on that other rock?

Looks too brittle to have been used. I've picked up a few quartzite pieces like that and they crumble in my hand.
                    North Carolina

Comment

• Deadhunt
                      Deadhunt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s pretty stiff, I’m sure it would break if I dropped it on concrete or something. Either way it’s cool to have a nature made mountain morrow I’m almost willing to mail it out to one of you experts so you can see what I see better but ehhh....
                  Working...
                  X