Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Mound or Ceremonial Pick... or, What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Mound or Ceremonial Pick... or, What is it?

I've had this stick sitting on my shelf for many years. I almost threw it away several times because I didn't know what it was. But now, I think it is an intrusive Indian mound pick or a ceremonial pick. I'd love your help identifying it and the age.
    The material that baffles me the most. It feels like very hard stone... or possibly a wooden stick that turned to stone. Or maybe it was cut from a rock.
    When I hold it, it is COLD. It's also surprisingly heavy for its size: ~3.2oz
    Dimensions: ~8.9"L x 1.1"W at widest center point
    Color are browns and greys. I can also see green streak and undertones with magnifier.
    I found it in Florida at a recycling center - someone threw it away. It could have originally come from anywhere.
    I tried to attach a bunch of photos plus here's a link.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmP6xbAC or https://flic.kr/s/aHsmP6xbAC

I'd love your feedback! Thx
    Attached Files

It looks like a marlin spike from a sailing vessel, they are heavy.. I’ve only seen brass ones, but some earlier ones might have been made from another non corrosive stuff. Nice save whatever it is...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Hal. Not a marlin spike for lots of reasons. I think you may be thinking of something else.

Not sure but hal may have nailed it
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

You have an historic artifact. It's a late 19'th to early 20'th century whetstone. Well used and worn on one end.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Boy, I was way Off on that one.

Nice save what ever it is, I would have brought it home too.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Google scythe sharpening stone. The modern ones are made of modern whetstone material, but the historic ones were made from a lot of local stones and they get that characteristic shape and are generally pretty long.

Cool save.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
      X