Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible broke banded slate artifact? Or wishful thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible broke banded slate artifact? Or wishful thinking?

Hunting is slow so while having a beer I was going through the “broke box”. I picked up this piece in the same field I always hunt because I don’t find any pieces of banded slate. At least that’s what I thought it was. I’m leaning towards it being natural but I thought I’d toss it out for those with more knowledge than me for some input. It’s 3 1/4” long and 1/4” wide. Found in the area which I’m sure was a seasonal camp. What do you folks think? I’ll post pics of the piece both dry and wet to show the material off. Could it be a broken artifact or just wishful thinking?
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

I can see where you are coming from. The one end does have a contoured look to it. Seems about the right thickness also. Not really sure though. Tough call from just pics. Does the one end feel smooth?
    Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that possibly an aborted drill hole on the one outer edge? Reworked broke piece?

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      It may be a plow strike. I’ll get a better look at it after work later. Thanks for the insight.

I found a smaller piece today didn't keep it though. I'd say yours use to be something at one time or maybe was going to be something.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Tough call on that. Glaciers brought down a lot of slate and even managed to sculpt it to some degree.. I find a few pieces every year and most make me scratch my head wondering if, some make it to the maybe pile.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Headscratcher for sure.... I’d have brought it home for sure. Couple more beers you might even see a unfinished, broken gorget.... head banger for sure.... nice score...✌️
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Throw it in the maybe pile. I probably would have thrown it where I found it. LOL
          South Dakota

Comment

I'd lean towards worked a bit.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Sure looks like they started "something" with that piece but Greg makes a good point about the glaciers... My buddy and I walk a site where the natives worked slate, attached is a pic of some of the worked pieces for comparison.
              Attached Files
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I believe the tip of the piece is smooth. I’ll try to take some closeups after work. I thought the thing looked curious enough to bring home.

Comment

Ok folks. Here’s another round of photos. They’re the best I can get with my cellphone. I took a close look at what I thought was a plow strike on the side of the piece. Someone mentioned that it looked like an aborted drill hole. Now that’s got me wondering even more. I also included an “end on” shot looking from the top of the piece. Areas feel glass smooth like one side and the edges. The tip is also very smooth. The cornfield I hunt is extremely clean of stone so this stuck out against the normal soil. It’s really a strange thing. Multiple pics again. Thanks for taking a look.

Comment

It looks like a broken celt to me. I have no idea what the suspicious looking rounded "hole" on one edge is, but I would not dwell on that. No one here will ever know what that means. If found on a site where you have found other artifacts then it more than likely it is a broken celt or some such tool. Celts come in a variety of sizes some smaller than this.

Comment

I mentioned the possible drill hole, still not sure on that from the new pics but I'm about 70% sure its something. I would guess a reworked/broke pendant.
                      Central Ohio

Comment

I’ve been torn over this one I picked up.

Comment

Trav, we are all guessing but who knows? Worth hanging on to. Maybe some day you will find the other half and it will be recognizable without doubt.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for all of the insights everyone. Having a wide open discussion of the pros and cons on questions about a find is invaluable. That’s just one thing that’s makes this site great. I guess I’ll throw it in my one lone frame as a fill in piece to ponder over.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                              SurfaceHunter commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I keep the broken ones in tubs listed by the fields and if it's the same field some times by location if it's a large field. I keep the tips and bases then after a few hunts I go through the tubs and see if there are any matches. Once in a while I get lucky.
                          Working...
                          X