Alberta Spearhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta Spearhead

I found this spearhead in a box of my grandfather's old things. It was possibly found in Alberta, Canada, though he could have bought it somewhere else too I suppose.
    About 8 inches long, feels like it's made out of cast iron. It's hollow at one end, with a curled tail. It looks handmade.
    Any ideas where this could have come from or what it would have been used for?

Welcome to arrowheads.com

Neat. That's an antique harpoon tip. Perhaps a little small for whaling, but they were also used for seal hunting. The loop is for the attachment of a line.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hi Dayw. Welcome to the site, you'll enjoy it if your into Artifacts. Now this is a stretch but it looks like what we call a Gig head. Used for gigging fish here in Pa. and I'm sure other places. Handmade by local blacksmiths. Or what painshill said. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Kim, The harpoon tip is over eight inches long.

Would be cool to make a shaft for it and hang it on the wall.
      South Carolina

Comment

Nice antique harpoon tip. Thanks for posting that.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Im sure a commercial whaling harpoon. Shot from a black powder cannon. They were attached to a shaft, like an atlatl socket.
          Ive seen several with that basic style. That thing and 3-4-6? more getting shot into 2 feet of blubber is there to stay.
          N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Ron, I've seen double tipped Gigs here. And there isn't a wild Seal, Walrus, or whale within hundreds of miles. But we did have Stergins Gar and OceanStripers here before the dams went up. And as you know they can get very big. I live in Dutch Country. We called them gigs, perhaps a German or Dutch word for Harpoon. Kim
            Last edited by Mattern; 10-16-2020, 09:33 PM.
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Pretty cool antique. Looks like its already been identified.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

I’ve caught palid sturgin, hook and line in the Columbia river and snagged them in the Missouri below Gavins point dam in N east Nebraska
                I have several frogging gigs, I can photograph and have seen the “two” style that look like a big “wish bone” with “barbs” facing inwards towards each other.
                I need to study that “2” kinda more.
                N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Welcome from Florida.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

What a neat item to have from your grandfather! I wonder how many sea animals that harpooned!! I would cherish something like that being a saltwater fisherman myself! You should get a nice wooden/glass display case for it!
                    North Carolina

Comment

Interesting piece, thanks for sharing
                      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Working...
                      X