Pink base - preform? And material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink base - preform? And material?

Northern AR. Pretty sure this is the base of something, would it be a late stage preform or some sort of tool without notches for hafting? Also, the chert there is incredible. If anything, it looks a little more pink in person but the photo with the quarter is close. Can anybody identify the material?
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-14-2021, 12:16 AM.
    Central Indiana

Here are a couple other flakes from what might be the same type of chert, found a few feet away. The bigger one looks to me like it was crudely worked into a scraper by sharpening the thickest end. The smaller one, like a lot of flakes I found there, has what looks like a little tiny nibbles. it’s not as obvious as in some of the other flakes though. i’ve also got a few other tools and the base of a point from the same day that I will upload at some point soon.
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-13-2021, 11:48 PM.
    Central Indiana

Comment

Top picture looks like a scraper with some damage, cool material.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

One more flake of this material - I think. It also happens to be another one that I suspect could’ve been a crude flake blade. Microflaking?
        Central Indiana

Comment

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like what is called a backed knife because of the flat place on one side of flake. Not sure what size it is i could be wrong

• BoilerMike
          BoilerMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Willjo, this piece is 1 3/4” long. Interesting that it might be a backed knife. If so, it would’ve been made from a waste flake right?
          Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-15-2021, 06:14 PM.

Kind of looks like a waste shard going by the pictures; I could be wrong. Either way it looks like you're in a good area with some killer material.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I'm thinking mozarkite. Just a guess
          Cool pieces
          Missouri

Comment

I found something last year that I was determined was a tipless, baseless point. But consensus was knife. Your first photo looks very similar, so I’m voting knife!
            I’m proud, and whatever your find is (knife), know you’re proud, too!
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

The pink rock is nice material
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Looks like Kay county Florence chert. Cool finds!
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Thanks guys - mozarkite and Kay county Florence chert both look like close matches. Some of the Florence chert images online look like a closer match, but from what I read the source is farther away. With high quality chert all around, I’d be surprised if it needed to be imported but maybe there’s other local sources?
                  Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-15-2021, 02:35 PM.
                  Central Indiana

Comment

Working...
                  X