Odd tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd tool

From some angles this almost looks like a point. I believe it is not a point because of how crudely it’s flaked and the odd triangular cross section. But it also looks intentionally worked to this shape, much more so than the other flakes found around it. I don’t know if it could be hafted because of how thick it is at its thickest part. Any idea what its purpose was or whether it was hafted?

I also can’t tell whether it has a broken base that might’ve tapered down more, or whether that’s just the shape of the flake that was somehow modified on the other sides.

Any insights are appreciated, you guys are awesome!

NC Arkansas
    Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-15-2021, 01:14 AM.
    Central Indiana

Looks like what I call a saw type tool, and it has two working edges, a coarse one and a finer one.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Looks like a multi-purpose tool
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Nice piece
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That’s a neat piece for sure!
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Nice find... unique for sure..👍
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Hmmm... a bi-blade with each blade bearing own set of different, uniformly sized and shaped teeth.....who’s crude?! Lol; that’s the best part of still being on artifact-honeymoon: 🎵Everthin’s beau—tiful!🎶
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• HBird
                HBird commented
                Editing a comment
                An artifact honeymoon? Lol that’s a good one CC I like it

Looks like it's made from an overshot flake. Classic example, except I've never seen one with serrations like that. Cool find!
              South Carolina

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Overshot flakes usually occur by chance for me. So I can assume other people have had similar results. Some people believe that Clovis technology used overshot flakes on purpose. I'm a little sceptical about that, but those boys were in a whole different league from me.

• SDhunter
                SDhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you explain how an overshot flake occurs?

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, when a heavily ground, isolated platform is in-between two very long parallel flake scars and the surface of the preform is almost perfectly convex. I can expect an overshot flake as a possibility.

Thanks for the comments - very insightful.

So if it’s a saw type tool, then edge is toothy on purpose. That’s interesting. I mistook the coarse teeth as just the byproduct of, for whatever reason, working the sides down to that shape.

In that case, having different tooth counts on each side might explain why it’s it’s got that asymmetrical triangular cross section. It looks like the steep edge better supports longer teeth and is used to make a coarser saw edge with deeper notches. The other side looks like it initially had the same tooth count, because the big notch channels from both sides line up in the middle. But then there was another level of fine flaking that gives it a higher tooth count per inch.

If those assumptions are correct, then I think that makes a lot of sense. Enough that I think this probably isn’t the first time someone thought to do that.

Hal - have you (or anyone else) ever seen a saw type tool that had that triangular cross-section and two different cutting edges like this before?

Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-15-2021, 11:49 PM.
              Central Indiana

Comment

Hey Mike, To explain the triangular cross section: It's a unifaced tool. They only worked one face of the flake.
                Unifaced tools are some of my favorite ancient artifacts.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                X