Basel grinding, thin base, is like some input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basel grinding, thin base, is like some input

I only posted one pic because right now this is all that is left of this artifact.

I’ve lost it. It’s been driving me nuts. I went out on a great hunt with my 3 year old. I was so proud of her for going out with her crazy dad in 20 degree temps to look for rocks.

I was keeping it in a little bag in a zipper pocket and now it’s gone. I’m hopping I took it out and placed it somewhere for safe keeping and just don’t remember. I’ve done it before.

Anyway to the important info. It looks well made to me just because it’s very thin. And like I said. It has basel grinding. The notch on the one side, I think is just damage. But that’s just my opinion.

And I just have to check.... Folsom points are fluted always, right?
    i just get excited with concave bases and basel grinding.

So any thoughts?.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colorado EB; 01-21-2021, 02:15 AM.

Hard for me to make a for sure call but it looks old. The base grinding and what looks like collateral to parallel pattern of what is left I think leads me to that old call. I don't see folsom and the flaking rules out a Dalton type. Is there grinding in the hafting area. Will be interesting what others think.
    SE IA

Comment

Hard to see what is what. Hope you find it and can post a few more pics.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Copy the pic and blow it up and you can see much better.
        SE IA

Comment

I hope you re- find it. Maybe a Jimmy Allen point, have only ever seen pictures.. looks like it could be from here.

Comment

• Colorado EB
            Colorado EB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I’ll look at pics off a Allen

I think the tip would have been broken off the left side, and the right side is the base with the right ear snapped off. If you were to rotate the picture a little bit less than 90° clockwise, the point would point up. Projectilepoints lists several unfluted lanceolate points with basal grinding in Colorado with ears like that, ranging from early archaic to Paleo. Maybe somebody familiar with points in that area would know. I would also mention what county or general area you found it in, assuming it was Colorado.
          Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-22-2021, 12:25 AM.
          Central Indiana

Comment

• Colorado EB
            Colorado EB commented
            Editing a comment
            Your right bmike, I need to rotate the pic. I’m so bad with computers but yes I hate that my pic is sideways. Great comments. Thank you for your response

Picked up what I thought was a flake today but after seeing yours I looked at it with a loop an it has very fine flaking possibly a graver not shure
          New Jersey

Comment

Working...
          X