Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It was suggested on the fossil site that I ask this question here. Do you know what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was suggested on the fossil site that I ask this question here. Do you know what this is?

This cylindrical object came from my neighbor whose mother was an avid artifact and rock collector. She had no idea what it was or when her mother found it but it was a long time ago up in the area of Carey, Idaho, on her mother's private property. The object is cylindrical with a small sway toward the middle of it. It is 4' tall and approximately 2 3/8" at the widest point. It is stone or clay colored uniformly aside from the ends where it has a brownish gold tinge and shows circles in the center of each end. It is very heavy given its size and seems dense it weighs 1 lb 6.1 oz. Any help would be appreciated on this one.
    Last edited by Dreamwalker106; 04-10-2021, 04:31 PM.

All I got is wow!... how big is that beast?
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      4” tall.

• UpNorth
      UpNorth commented
      Editing a comment
      It was edited after I posted... looked like it was 2feet tall, sitting on a couch... 50 pounder ... lol...👍

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes I feel like I’m livin in a time warp, if there is such a thing,Lol.

It looks like a giant pestle. I have seen pictures, illustrations of how they were used.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I'd say natural, except the indented ends. They appear to be intentional, man made. It can only be a small handheld pestle, maybe for mashing soft things, like leaves, bark, berries, etc.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Looks like a small anvil stone

Floridaboy.

Comment

Has the resemblance of limestone. Looks tumbled/creek worn smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
            Has the resemblance of limestone. Looks tumbled/creek worn smooth.
            It feels like river rock but is a lot heavier. It is really too large for a woman's hands to comfortably wrap around as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
              I'd say natural, except the indented ends. They appear to be intentional, man made. It can only be a small handheld pestle, maybe for mashing soft things, like leaves, bark, berries, etc.
              Except the very center circle inside the conclave on both sides is raised up like a mole in the center and is smooth. The coloration around the very center circle is a golden brown hue in the conclave area

Comment

I’m confused... again. Is this boy 4 feet tall (he is sitting on a couch), or 4 inches tall?
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
                  I’m confused... again. Is this boy 4 feet tall (he is sitting on a couch), or 4 inches tall?
                  4 inches tall and approximately 2 3/8 inches at its widest point and extremely heavy 1.6 lbs.

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In that case, the illustrations I referenced regarding usage don’t apply!

That's a bannerstone blank. Good find!

Comment

Don't know what it is but believe it's not a pestle or hammer stone as it would be worn on the areas on the outside rim unless being pounded on a convex surface. Am sure it is not a banner stone in the making. The indents look like natural to me as the coloration in the indents may be a softer material and weathered out faster. Been wrong before so that is my 2 cents. Natural.
                    SE IA

Comment

Working...
                    X