ID:	549362Click image for larger version

Name:	507BB758-74E4-4D94-8FCA-81DE6A2F9A28.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	549363Click image for larger version

Name:	252D4849-D0A4-445F-AF91-FF924B6F0CA0.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	549364 I know it’s often hard to tell for sure, but in your opinions what am I looking at here? It’s my biggest piece of Kay County material. Found in Tulsa county. Thanks!

Nice preform, put in a case! Congrats. Of course if someone in arms reach needed a blade for a second the maker may have handed it over lol.
    New Jersey

Comment

Might be a trade blank. Not sure you had them that far west, and it's a little thin for that, but looks alot like one.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• Uncle Trav
        Uncle Trav commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never heard of a trade blank. Got me interested to learn something new
        👍😃

I'm not saying everyone, but a large percentage of these pieces are called " Platters", and have been found on several excavated Paleo sites in the northeast. Including Saginaw in York Co., Pa., the Sugarloaf Site in New York, the Lamb Site, and several others. When found in association with fluted points, they are Paleo and represent tool supplies. Each large flake that you see removed would have been a scraper, knife, or other tool. These were made at the quarry site and carried to the habitation site, and it was easier to carry a few dozen platters, than carry large chunks of flint or chert. A biface or platter this size could have been reduced to make several dozen small but useable tools. To say your piece is Paleo, it would of had to be found on a site in association with Paleo points and tools. If not, it would probably then be an Archaic bifacial preform.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Nice find when did you find that pretty piece
        NW Georgia,

Comment

SurfaceHunter I actually just found it this morning! pkfrey Thats very informative! Thank you. This site has produced a few paleo pieces as well.

Comment

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be more evidence that your blade is a tool supply bifacial platter!! And it's a nice one!!

Nice find
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice find, great center piece for any frame.
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

What a nice find, I recon flint supplies were plentiful in central Florida cuzz I can’t remember seein any.
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Hey Chris, Very Nice. To thin a biface out like that is a real art.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Second pic - for those of you who know, is that a big over-shot flake removal going right across the middle? If so, I know that’s often associated with Paleo pieces.
                  Central Indiana

Comment

Sweet find...pretty. Certainly needs to be shown off.

Comment

Great information in this post.
                      👍👍
                      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Knew term “trade blank”, but “platter” newest honored vocabulary word! Special name for incredibly special artifact (and even if not platter, that guy is definitely something else)!!
                        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                        X