Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for Insight into Arrowheads Purchased at an Estate Sale (NJ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for Insight into Arrowheads Purchased at an Estate Sale (NJ)

Hi,
    I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts as to whether or not the following arrowheads look like they have any potential for being authentic. I bought all 4 from an estate sale. The company, running the estate sale, was unable to provide any associated historical information.

I’ve spent some hours looking through http://typology.arrowheads.com/index.php, visiting each and every page, in an effort to do my due diligence. I have no experience with arrowheads, but I am so down to start a premise with these.

Here’s a quick group shot of the 4 (placed on an index card 3x5in), along with my guestimated style(?) and type/classification(?):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6713.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	571609
    Below I’ve taken individual shots, including precise measurements, using a digital caliper, along with weights, for your convenience:

Name:	ID 1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	571610

Name:	ID 2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	571612

Name:	ID 3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	571613

Name:	ID 4.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	571611

It’s tough to not simply conclude these came from pretty much any gift shop across America, haha.
    However, there were far older and more valuable items being sold at this same estate sale.

I’m basically reaching out for anyone who might be able to weigh in and toss in a thought or two.

Thanks in advance, you guys ROCK!

They look good to me (as of being ancient authentic) going by the pictures.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Dang! Due diligence impressive! I know just a thimble full, but always think of Barbie Dolls when fakes are shown. Most of them look too perfect to me. But there are forum folks who practice discernment of good fakes professionally, and tho AntMike not professional evaluator, he’s handled lots n’ lots of artifacts, so you got 1 and a half votes for real-deal so far!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Look like the real old thing to me. Lot of work you did .
        SE IA

Comment

Originally posted by antmike915 View Post
          They look good to me (as of being ancient authentic) going by the pictures.
          Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
          Dang! Due diligence impressive! I know just a thimble full, but always think of Barbie Dolls when fakes are shown. Most of them look too perfect to me. But there are forum folks who practice discernment of good fakes professionally, and tho AntMike not professional evaluator, he’s handled lots n’ lots of artifacts, so you got 1 and a half votes for real-deal so far!
          Originally posted by oldrocks2 View Post
          Look like the real old thing to me. Lot of work you did .

I appreciate you guys! Your insight & tips are stellar.

I plan on reading a book or two on identification, tactics used in discovering, and the art of flint knapping.

Stones are wild.

I am grateful to this community.

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Get book “long considered the Bible of arrowhead collecting, The Official Overstreet Indian Arrowheads Identification and Price Guide is an encyclopedic guide to projectile points found in the contiguous United States, as well as Alaska.” It seems to be a favorite here. I got one for Christmas, read it like bedtime story!

Welcome from Florida, cool finds..authentic,, .Don’t read any books about flint knapping..there’s a ton of excellent videos on utube, .good luck
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, but do they say “eraillure!” when it happens!?

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Cute....

I would say certainly authentic but with no provenance (and even having it...) you are gonna need to identify the material as well as "shape" to ID type. Good luck. Just about every state has these shapes/types/era. What a mess LOLOL ID material is a lot harder IMHOP Look at only types in the state you bought them it and you might get lucky.....
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome to forum and with the research you did on those four points you will be an asset to forum
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That first one reminds me of an Alsop Meadow point which fits in with the time line of Vosburg and Lamoka

The second one with those deep side notches looks like a Meadowood that appears to have been reworked in ancient times. https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...ood-plate.html

The third point looks like a Vosburg to me. https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...urg-plate.html

The fourth would fall in the Lamoka group . https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...oka-plate.html

I assume these were purchased in the North eastern states or close to there PA NJ northward some place.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
                I would say certainly authentic but with no provenance (and even having it...) you are gonna need to identify the material as well as "shape" to ID type. Good luck. Just about every state has these shapes/types/era. What a mess LOLOL ID material is a lot harder IMHOP Look at only types in the state you bought them it and you might get lucky.....
                This is that real talk that I crave. Thanks for the point in the right direction and I appreciate the heads up.

Originally posted by willjo View Post
                Welcome to forum and with the research you did on those four points you will be an asset to forum
                Wow, I'm truly flattered. Thank you!

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                That first one reminds me of an Alsop Meadow point which fits in with the time line of Vosburg and Lamoka

The second one with those deep side notches looks like a Meadowood that appears to have been reworked in ancient times. https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...ood-plate.html

The third point looks like a Vosburg to me. https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...urg-plate.html

The fourth would fall in the Lamoka group . https://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/p...oka-plate.html

I assume these were purchased in the North eastern states or close to there PA NJ northward some place.
                Hoss, you're a legend.

#1: This was the hardest for me to even remotely find a match. I do see the validity/resemblance indicated.
                #2: I truly admire that deeper level of logic, pertaining to it being reworked. That type of logic is going to be instrumental in future assessments.
                #3: Whoaaaaa, ok hold up, that's spot on.
                #4: 100% agreed, wow. That website you use is gold.

In regards to the regional assumtion, you're 100% correct. I live in NJ, on the border of NY, and the estate sale was held right down the street from me, technically in NY.

One things for sure, sooner or later, when I want to know for certain, you've got my business. I want to ship you these puppies so you can work your magic to the full extent. I am in tune with some of the services you offer. Really excited.

I have been trying to avoid bringing pricing into the topic, because it's not a good metric to rely on, due to numerous reasons, but i got all 4 for $4.

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
                  Flint Eastwood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I vote real deal.
                  You got them for a steal!

• chrisingis
                  chrisingis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it's similar to when 1st-time metal detectorists find a ring on their first hunt. Arrowheads are such an encapsulating facet of history.

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Be on lookout HBird posts; he digs in New Jersey sand!

Hoss is the go to person for your area but there are others here who know this area of the country as well. Nice "finds"!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
                  Hoss is the go to person for your area but there are others here who know this area of the country as well. Nice "finds"!
                  I love the identification tools that arrowheads.com offers, very well put together and helpful GUI. That's my profession and field of expertise. Takes a lot of work to offer such an invaluable resource as a convenience to those such as myself.

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is that profession/expertise? Research?

• chrisingis
                    chrisingis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a programmer and GFX designer, specializing in everything from custom web-based solutions to iOS & Android applications. Thanks for asking!
                Working...
                X