Arrowhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowhead?

Hi everyone! First time here and am really excited! I found this piece and my first thought was that it’s an arrowhead! I live out far in hawkinsville, GA. We have lots of dirt and mud in the background. It’s been pouring rain the past few days and while taking my dog out, I saw this sitting right on the surface. I can tell the tip was broken off and the bottom was also broken off. Maybe I’m just making things up but I’m dying to know! I know this was an area heavily populated by Indians and there’s also a sight about 30 minutes from here that is fairly large where there are 3-4 large Indian mounds. It’s called the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds in Macon!

I think you have a flake or spall.. it sure does have the shape of a arrowhead, but I’m just not seeing any work… let’s see what others from your area think… I would have brought it home as well….😁
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Julia25
      Julia25 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh that’s like a part that breaks off when an actual arrowhead is being made right?

Keep looking there is some nice points over your way
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Julia25
      Julia25 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you agree this could be a spall? If it is, I’m wondering is there’s more near me!

Believe it is a natural spall driven of a larger piece. Might of been done by man to reduce the size of a core or might just be a natural fracture.
    SE IA

Comment

Hi Julia and welcome to the forum. The Material really looks like Quartzite, nice color. Quartzite is a material that the Natives used. It looks like it could be a spall. Keep searching the area for more and please don't hesitate to ask us about what your finding. Kim Central Pa.
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

First pic viewed i was like yeah, could be a point, second pic, due to the thickness, nope....not a point.... does look like material, spall as others have commented on.....id hunt that area where u found this, gotta be something around native
        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Welcome from Florida Julia..Yupp some indian hit a larger piece flint with an antler or another stone and removed that flake and you came along a thousand years or so later and found it...There’s definitely points in the area..Good luck.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Music to my ears . I hunt in SW Georgia a couple of times a year. I can show you a basket of those pieces broken off in production . I always pick them up .. good news is there has to be some points around there .

Comment

• Julia25
                Julia25 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was so excited this was one, but knowing it is a product from one is still so cool! How easy are people finding arrow heads? I feel like I’ve had a passion ignited in me to go search haha

I think it's a spall too, but it looks like a 'prepared' one that might have been used as a tool. I think I see a little sharpening along right hand edge in first pic.
              California

Comment

If your finding flakes and or spalls then your in the right place, look for rock bottom creeks, drain basins/ bottom land, farmers fields in the spring, especially along water ways etc...and good luck, it is certainly a passion for many people, and once you find that first one that is no doubt an artifact....then its really game on!....🙂
                JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

Thank you all for the responses and help! Even though it’s not an arrow head, it’s still exciting for me to know it could be a spall or sharpening tool! I’m definitely going to start looking in some specific places and I’ll come back here if I ever find one!

Comment

Working...
                  X