Bone knife handle??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone knife handle??!!

Saved from the ravages if time. Would be great if we could all come to general consensus that this is a handle for a knife. Looks like they started to cut it down a little too short and readjusted their cut. It's amazing and fits oh so perfect In the hand.
    Attached Files

Looks like a nice smooth cut, don't think a Native American cut that unless they polished the cut smooth
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

The cut is as old as the rest of the bone same patina. So I'm assuming they did. I was amazed by that too. Whatever they used to scar the first cut that they stopped on is what they used to cut it down I think. Pulled out of clay as is. Good ol Clearwater river has a massive amount of bone tools.

Comment

So based on that assumption it must be so.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I don't like assumptions. I'm sure you all know why.😁 Nice to romanticize about though.

Comment

Questions would be, was the hollow filled with an adhesive, (what kind) and how far up the blade and down the handle would the sinew go or was it used strictly with the adhesive? What type of base fits into that opening and was the triangular piece that’s missing, a part of the original design or a break? Any other types like this in collections etc…? Looks promising but I’d need specific’s.
            Last edited by Missouri Breaks; 10-24-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I'll take some better pictures of the inside of the bone. It looks like it goes down quite a ways. Almost all the way to the bottom. Which I'm sure if there was morrow or anything left inside it deteriorated. I am by no means familiar with the process of preparing a bone handle for a knife

Comment

Would like to see closeup of cut end that’s the tell
                Floridaboy.

Comment

Ok....If a different angle is needed let me know. THANK YOU for looking!!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

interesting find.
                    Utah

Comment

• Rockcrk
                      Rockcrk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know right? definitely touched by human hands. Just not quite sure what it was used for yet

• gregszybala
                      gregszybala commented
                      Editing a comment
                      dinner

Some time ago, I think I remember seeing a knife someone found sticking out of the ground. They thought remnants of the handle were still present in the ground. Interesting find.
                    South Carolina

Comment

If the morrow cavity was filled with pitch a very long stemmed Adena would go into the socket but I don't think that is the answer. I think it is a left over piece of a modern butchering.
                      SE IA

Comment

I think ORocks is correct looks like it was cut with a saw
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

That could be. If it was cut say 150 years ago or so the cut could have polished over hiding the saw striations? That area was mined for gold all over in the 1860's- on up.

Comment

Dang it. I kinda figured I may have been reaching there. 😁

Comment

Working...
                            X