What is this and any idea how old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this and any idea how old?

Found this a week ago. Originally it was covered in a white silt/clay and just looked like a cool y-shaped rock. But I began cleaning it as I suspected it might be a fossil. With all the sediment removed, I found it had a blade-like formation to it. A good source identified it as an awls. I trust them, but I always strive for at least three sources confirming anything in regards to identification of a possible artifact.
    There are a few other stones found that seem like scrappers, smoothers and net weights, but I will start with this. There are several paleo-Indian archeological sites within a mile of where these were found, and all seem to be of the same type of silt-stone which is common in the area.

Found in Lewisville in Denton County, Texas near a creek that flows into Lewisville Lake.
    Last edited by LeeRendan; 11-05-2022, 02:29 AM.

Welcome aboard Lee ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Hi Lee and welcome to our forum. You are showing us what seems to me a very unusual item. First of all, I ask that you tell us more about the context in which it was found (i.e., you say near a creek then how near the creek was it and was it on a floodplain where artifacts are found such as points or lots of chert debitage or other things that suggest a prehistoric site or did you find it on a hill . "near a creek" really does not tell us much) . I think It was not an awl if it is a Native American artifact. Because of how symmetric it is I don't think it was a natural rock unless other such type flattened stones are found in the creek. Sometimes "Mother Nature" can sculpt some stones that look like they may be artifacts. You present to us a very curious piece, indeed. I will follow this thread to see what some of our other members say.

Comment

• LeeRendan
        LeeRendan commented
        Editing a comment
        There were several other rocks collected that, once cleaned, had the same color and texture, minus the chrinoid stem imprints that Hoss mentioned, but there were no other rocks with the same or similar flattened shape. Most are rounded or tubular. A few fractured ammonites were also found. I did not see any type of chert. The consensus from everyone I have asked is weighted toward a naturally sculpted stone. The other stones I posted below I thought might be tools as well because they fit so good in the fingers when held the way you would hold them to smooth or scrape, but that is also kind of like seeing patterns in the clouds. One cloud may appear like an elephant, but its just a cloud that only happens to look like one.

Thank you SailorJoe,

I will attach the several pictures that might help. I took two of the area, one showing the drop off and the other the place where the objects were found. I will also post pictures of the other objects found. They were all covered in a very stubborn layer of white silt or clay, The strange object from the first post took several hours of scrubbing with a tooth brush to remove it. There were no other rocks in the area that look like this in terms of its shape. I picked it up because it stood out even with the silt covering it, and was actually the first one found, which was why I continued looking and found the others pictured.

The first picture shows the drop off. This area is usually covered in water, but has been exposed for most of the summer and fall. It rained some yesterday, so I do know if the area is still exposed. The drop off is 11 inches in most areas. The water was about 10 feet away the day they were found. The soil is dark, but all the rocks in the area are this white color, however, that is the silt covering them. The objects shown are in various stages of being cleaned, so some have more white coating than others.

I have exceeded the 8 pictures, so I will make another post showing the rest.

I hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        If a rock has hole caused by water, mythology of many cultures holds that magical! โ€œHag Stonesโ€ supposedly can catch bad spirits, and I have one suspended over bedโ€ฆ

Here are the rest of the objects:
      Attached Files

Comment

Natural limestone formations. the piece in question is fossil bearing limestone. I see tiny chrinoid stems in the matrix. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_145505.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	661677
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I friend of mines son found this in Tennessee . It is limestone and 100% natural made by mother nature.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	661679
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• LeeRendan
            LeeRendan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Its why I go for three sources. Its a little disappointing that the others are just rocks, but I can soothe myself with the first one just being a pretty cool piece to include with my fossil finds.

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            Josie,
            Were you in the relics room down stairs from the knife works?

• Josie
            Josie commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I was!

Your additional posts showing other rocks found in the area tell me that it is a rock unaltered by man. Thank your for providing us with the additional info.

Comment

I was thinking that this tip looked polished to a pretty sharp point. It may be natural, but I would hold on to it. The rest are for sure rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C63DB02-67AA-4572-8620-53B9FE2BC593.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	661866

South Dakota

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatever โ€˜tis, โ€˜tis a keeper!

Yup nature makes weird stuff find it all the time cool though Anything that makes ya wonder is worth looking at !
            New Jersey

Comment

Working...
            X