Grandma Ruby find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma Ruby find.

Found on Whetstone S.C. drilled chlorite pendant. Archaic or early woodlands, based upon the other items found in association. This stone may be from a deposit near the DeSoto carvings, along the S.C./Ga./N.C. border.

Neat! it has a lot of use ware and beautiful color. The owner must of been proud of it. K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Not my grounds, but, I’m not seeing what your seeing… more pics and more information on all your posts… go a long way here.
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• UpNorth
        UpNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        Call it what you will, no where near authentic judging by your one lone pic… along with all your previous posts… C’ MON Man…

North , I Agree the pics in Quicksilver's post are interesting , but the lack of back story makes me pass over most of them.

Comment

• UpNorth
        UpNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup… I’ll pass as well…✌️

I would think a pendant would be more distinct in form and execution. Ancient peoples were accomplished artists. If the “drill hole” is indeed authentic I would take a guess that it was a failed attempt at a pendant or lost before completion. The stone doesn’t show any finishing work and putting a link to any specific period of time would be nearly impossible unless found in direct context with other artifacts. Even that can be tricky if found in a field that has been farmed for any length of time due to the continual churning of the soil.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Quicksilver. These guys are saying what a lot of folks are thinking. Some of your items are interesting. It would be nice to have good focused pics from different angles as well as context on the items.

You woukd certainly get more commentary.

Comment

It's a burial piece, the hard stone celt, flint bone splitter and morrow mt. points associated with them kinda puts it early woodlands. The stone celt maybe earlier. Artifacts are not perfect. Quality of the item is usually associated with high status or sentimental purpose. I don't think my Granny knew how to do bi cone drilling. She thought it was glass when she found the items some 45 years ago. Also, we do not post locations specifically, too many zealots on meth around here, Johns Island looks like it was carpet bombed. Province is essential when collecting and at present that is a privately owned item. We post these things because they are important archeological items, not to be traded like marbles. If you like more info just ask.

Comment

We will improve the pictures if the phone let's us. As for back story, sorry for the KISS, (keep it simple stupid), typing on a phone is not happy happy. What info do ya want, just ask. I got plenty of time. I'm sure these pictures might be a little boring for those of you with walls of artifacts, but in general those of you who are curious will hopefully look into things like Safety Harbor or Florida shell tools or chlorite etc.

Comment

• Garguy
              Garguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Please don't talk down to me. You have no idea who I am or my intent. I'm interested in some of the things you post. I, as well as others, have already ask for details and better pic. You have not done that so don't give me the all you have to do is ask crap.

Sorry for the miscommunication. My equipment to do the posting are somewhat limited mainly a cheap phone. It's a task to do simple stuff with it, but I was not aware of a format for back stories. What is meant by that and we will fill in. The KISS comment was for me not intended for anybody else. I guess it's details? Again I apologize for miss communication. The comment on the fake hole got me. 😂 An analysis made from afar.

Comment

With the exception of the hump back adze, nothing is for sale or trade. Wish I never sold the Brownsville plummets or green stone celt, but that was years ago. These are general pictures not intended for deep analysis, we reserve that. Its just for fun and "ain't never seen that before" chatter. I was hoping that something besides the ten million projectiles gets shown for cultural preservation. That's where a lot more info is. Arrowheads most found out of context are pretty but... Show me breads, pottery and awls that's the back story. They were owned used for a time much longer that most projectiles. Make a point shoot it, hope for the best. Not so with this stuff, personal items.

Comment

I agree with Garguy that more and better photos are needed. Specifically I want to see a close up of the hole from both sides as well as other photos showing both sides with something to show sale other than parts of your fingers. It is not uncommon for circular holes to be found on natural rocks if they were at one time in a stream. Lots of reasons why they could have been picked up and brought back home to be made into a pendant but never finished their project. I never heard of pendants being made from that type of stone. We often find stones in rivers that originated a long way off that were originally in the mountains but over thousands or even millions of years arrive at where we found them. It depends on the overall watershed and its geological history. I understand that you are using a camera that does not allow you to provide us these kind of photos but without them you may not find many who agree with you.

Comment

Well you are either making wild leaps on this stuff or doing a poor job showing us. Bi con drilling? That would be a nice thing to take a few good pics of and show us. Grave offering? How do you know? Was Granny digging a grave? Found in context to bones? That's the kind of answers we are asking for.

Comment

Burial piece found eroded out in 4sqft area. Bones in the southeast are quickly eroded by the acid soils. This is not a river pebble, chlorite would not last since this came from a talc deposit. Soapstone is soft. The SC deposit is also an archaic site for making bowl. It's the only one around for many miles and chlorite type material can still be seen insitu there. Without isotopic analysis, we assume that it came from there since it's the only known source for many miles. Don't see many river pebble jewelry in Upper SC. Too quatrzy and granite.

Comment

Not asking for any agreements, if in contention you putting too much into it. If an item has not been fully researched I will be the first to ask. These picts for enjoyment.

Comment

I have seen a chunk of pet wood millions of years old, an arrowhead 3,000 years old and a dog turd 3 days old all in an eroded spot 4ft square. Erosion is a tricky force.

Comment

Working...
                        X