For the Florida people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Florida people

Ok what are they? Are they cultic offerings to the Head Man that lived here? We found these and about 20+more about the same time. At first maybe a nothing, then noticed they had smoothed worded edges on some. They are turtle, caliche type rock, and a hard stone not from here. There are some Florida research papers, but they just call them celts and say one or two found at the site, yadda yadda. I have another item(s) that are very perplexing. Post that soon, there are a lot of those.

WORKED edges not worded

Comment

I don't see any work. Maybe better pics to show it,

Comment

It just minor basal grinding. Cultic celts are found in Florida research and are typically shell, which I have, these happen to be other material and are encased. There was just sooo many of them. The large turtle piece was with the dear ulna trocher or dagger posted previously.

Comment

Cultic?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

As in a local cult or proto religion. Religious artifacts often called ceremonial, would indicate a predominantly regional belief such as moon or sun worship. Cultic in this case would indicate local beliefs such as a Wolf Clan or False Face society. These items are cultic until connected to a wider belief. Florida archaeology has not yet made the connection and continue to publish, "shell celts found in association with Yadda,yadda. Could be Shrimper Cult we gots lots of those here, 😂. They a strange lot too.

Comment

Hi Quicksilver. It seems like you think you know more about this than professional archaeologists. Is that is so just tell us "straight up" that you know more than do they about this "subject". It sounds like you know a lot about the clan system which was common in most all larger tribal groups in the eastern USA and probably beyond. What you said does not agree with my understanding of clan systems of organization.

Comment

I know more about this site. We have begged for years for U of Fl. to dig here, but it's not interesting enough, or because of NAGRA they chicken or are hindered. It's private property which we believe is the original town site that everybody wonders about. It's a 9,000 y old site. We only surface find and this is what's comes up after a storm or crazy tide. We are only in the Safety Harbor zone. Our age and health prevents us from digging to China. We have found Paleo, early archaic, late archaic here also. Not a lot but it's there on the bottom strata. As retired scientists, we got lots of time to study this stuff, however literature and schooling is limited, so we push beyond this for this site. Retirement boredom. Do we know much about Safety Harbor Clans, know more about Weeden Island clans than Safety Harbor. One of the goals is to connect this site to Weeden Island, but it ain't happening. It's a Crystal River Connected site, late period. There were some Spanish artifacts from here too.

Comment

Forget what our family clan is, Longhair or something like that. Have to get the Cherokee papers out in the future. Clans are still working in NC and others areas. Have to say we know very little, like all humans.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	852.0 KB ID:	670149
                    They dont appear to be artifacts to me. Show a side shot of the top one. please.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

No grinding just bone. It's an artifact because it was collected by the natives, then skinned and the top shell roasted along with three other green turtles. All the other shell is crumbles. There were two.ulna trochers with it. One was posted the other crumbled as it came out of the bank. It may well be a curious piece of green turtle. But very curious based upon the associated findings. You got to remember there are only artifacts in this spot. Even the foot long oyster shells are artifacts as well as the charcoal from the fire pit. There are only a few of those. These are non traditional artifacts so there are questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X