Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My FIRST Indian Artifact looking for Fossils... imagine that at 13

This is my first Indian Artifact.

I rode my bicycle to look for fossils at a limestone quarry Southeast farm land outside Independence, Missouri on the east side of the Little Blue River. I was 13 years old. Fossils were new to me and very interesting. The Rock Quarry was a bit of a hard route to bicycle, so I 'ditched the bicycle' along the two lane paved road in a ditch. I began to walk across a plowed corn field to get there.

I walked 25 feet or more and upon a large clump of plowed over field was a large chunk of dirt turned on its side. There was this Arrowhead. Never knew that you could find arrowheads, anywhere. But there it was. The material I discovered the material was very popular in Hopewell Sits along this fertile river valley. Also after finding a real Indian Artifact, a dart, not an arrowhead to say... no more fossil brachiopods or crinoid stems for me.

After that find in the field, I peddled to the corn fields along the Little Blue River in the Fall deep plowing and the Spring plowing to get the field ready to plant seed. I was now a Bonifide Artifact Dude... BAD for short. I made that up. I looked forward for those heavy rains in the Spring!

I kept this dart point and mounted it upon an index card. I even have the location, as I bought some Quadrangle Maps and looked for all the possible areas to find some campsites. It worked. Pottery shards, broken points and some ground tools. Very few percussion flakes or pressure flakes in the fields, but lots of pot shards and broken tools and the occasional complete celt or point.

We all have our story about the FIRST find. This is mine. I still have it. I will request that my wife bury me with it when I pass. It brings back good memories when times were simple and the Farmers... did not come out yelling to Get Out of the Field. They actually were very nice and understanding.

Any day outdoors is one more of the best days of your living experience. Do it often. The hospitals are full of those who are experts at Sitting.

I later began to mark Sites I discovered on the maps. This became H-5 for Hopewell 5.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SevenOut; 02-03-2023, 02:13 PM.

What a wonderful, wonderful story!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

excellent man.
      Utah

Comment

“Hospitals are full of those who are experts at sitting” - I wish that was on billboards as a PSA, it might be the most valuable “point” I’ve seen posted on this forum. The other point is nice too.

Great story.
        Central Indiana

Comment

This is my wife's FIRST chipped artifact. After this find, she caught onto the hunting part and we keep all in a display case for nick nacks and stuff.

We were hunting fossil mammals and tortoise in the Badlands of western Nebraska on a Ranch I had collected, since 1968. The Ranch has changed hands a second time and we have not been there for many years.

It is so weird, it is hard to describe but easy to scan . It appears to have had some small pressure flakes for a sharp edge once it became dull. It is thick and not well made. A flute was added to thin the base on one side. Several percussion flakes to thin the opposite side. It is not broken, but could have been longer, was broken and then sharpened somewhat.
          Attached Files

Comment

Loved the story’s...brought back memories.👍🇺🇸.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

Outsiders who stay home and go shopping as hobbies, do not understand the 'mentality of those wandering around in a plowed field or the western prairie with their heads down looking for something. They spend a $1000 to work out in a gym. We spend a fraction getting fresh air, exercise and bragging rights for discarded and lost items.

Our interests are only recognized by OTHER fossil, rock and artifact collectors with just a glance. We know. We understand. It is inexpensive modern therapy in this confused Planet. One man's trash is another's great find. I see someone with their head down looking at the ground... is not sad. They are thinking to themselves there must be another good point to be found in this field and... I am going to find it. Yaaaaa Hoooo.

Our best company... Blue, Cody and the youngest Grizz love to hike and hunt. We pick up what we want. The Heelers like to Roll In what they want. Makes for a happy family.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice that you still have it.
                South Dakota

Comment

• SevenOut
                  SevenOut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am still looking for the previous owner. I have looked thorugh out Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, Nevada... etc. Still looking... some day may find whomever dropped this point. We never need an excuse to go hunting anything... you find it... you are responsible to find the owner.

Cool story, thanks for sharing seven
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                X