Authentic Artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Artifacts?

Hello everyone, I was hoping that I could get some help figuring out if these are authentic or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! They are supposed to be from Central TN. Thank you! I hope it is okay that I posted this topic on 2 separate forums.

They look like the real deal to me.
    the lighter one shows some resemblance to a graham cave i.m.o…..✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

They look to be *mostly* authentic artifacts to me. Meaning they are old/ancient, but in the photos I can see what might be evidence of some re-chipping in modern times on both. It's really hard to tell from photos though. But my guess would be authentic ancient artifacts that someone might have "fixed-up" a bit.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. They are from a family member who was told that they were authentic.

Comment

The dark colored one looks off to me. Very well could be wrong.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree looks rechipped to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	250
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	674674
          The entire base looks rechipped in modern times. Its not thinned correctly.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Rechipping along edge . Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	229
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	674676
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you so much, does this mean it is an authentic arrowhead that was retouched or was this possibility all modern? Sorry I am really new to the terminology and what people do to make artifacts look authentic.

Comment

• smbore
                smbore commented
                Editing a comment
                that's what it appears to be. someone has touched up a older point to make appearance better.imo...

Hard to say with the dirt on there. Clean the drit off and take some new pictures.

Comment

Thank you for helping, here it is scrubbed.

Comment

• Von
                  Von commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just curious? How did you clean it up?

Von

Hi,

Looking at the pictures it’s hard to tell if the dark one has been re-chipped or has a lot of damage from rough handling? I agree that you need to clean it up and take some new photo’s. It will probably be obvious if it’s been re-chipped after cleaning.

Von

3 minutes late! LOL

Comment

I got hot water and soap and scrubbed with a toothbrush.

Comment

It's okay I appreciate any help, 3 minutes late or not lol

Comment

That sounds okay but after looking at it I’m not sure it’s authentic? Normally they don’t clean up that much with a little soap, water and a tooth brush. Maybe someone from your area that’s more familiar with the local materials will chime in with better information than I can give you.

There are quite a few varieties of chert in Tenn. They only show up in western NC and I don’t see them all that often. The patina on the local rhyolite and other stones used by the Indians other than chalcedony in the area I live is more easily defined than the cherts in Tenn.

Von
                      Last edited by Von; 02-04-2023, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you, ya I was worried when I saw how easy the dirt came off.

Comment

Working...
                        X