Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of place cobblestone

Hi everyone

I found this seemingly out of place cobblestone buried when I was metal detecting. It had some interesting smooth surfaces in a few random areas. Do I have anything here or is it just a plain old rock? Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Cbristol; 02-10-2023, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Not that I can tell.
      A grinding stone will have a pronounced flat face without deviation or dimple.
      Attached Files
      FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

• Jon E. Busch
        Jon E. Busch commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice examples LS!

in the last picture is it dished ?? it appears to have a dish or indent in it
      Utah

Comment

The bottom had a very slight indent to it. I see what your saying about the flatness; not quite as flat as you'd expect if it was used for grinding. Thank you for looking.

Comment

The concave surfaces appear in the photo to be a little smoother than the other surfaces. There's probably no way to know for sure but it doesn't look like a natural shape. It could have been used. I have a pestle or two with concave bottoms.

Comment

it has the appearance of a NA item we find many hardstone items out here in the west they are a intrest of mine... I'd have kept it.
            Utah

Comment

I love out of place river cobbles. Over the years I realized that river rocks don't walk up hill, or show up some distance from the creek without human help. I walked over many sites not connecting the dots. Keep looking.

Comment

I found this, what I believe is quartz in the ditch line by my home while walking my dog. There's a lot of quartz where I live but this stood out from everything else. The closest creek is a couple of miles away. It fits my hand perfectly. It is super smooth. If it's an artifact, what is it?

Comment

It was common for me to find such stones in fields a good ways from the creek or river nearby. My hunting buddy and I called them dog rocks. By that we mean that the folks would chunk them at barking dogs who were disturbing their sleep. So it kinda looks like a dog rock to me.

Comment

Could be a bola.

Comment

Plain old rock is all.
                      FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
                      X