Help Identifying This....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying This....

In what context was it found? Just looking at the pictures, so far I can say that it wasnt made by an Ancient Native American...

Comment

It was found in a river bottom field where Indian artifacts have been found.

Comment

The bottom picture shows a cut edge that circles the stone perfectly.

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida...It looks like a piece of a fluted type concrete column.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Floridaboy that's an interesting thought.. But if that was the case why is that cut/worked edge visible the entire circumference? If it was a broken piece i don't thnk the cut/worked edge would be there on all sides.

Comment

Yes, an odd shape to have an edge thats worked around the circumference. Better pictures with both sides in better light would help a bit I think.

Comment

Looks like it was part of an old wash board.
                South Carolina

Comment

I’ll agree with the others, very unlikely to be of native origin. I’ll bet that circle you’re seeing is the point where the outer coating was applied to the column before the pattern was stamped into it. Might even be a layer of bonding agent that’s eroding away more easily than the the rest

Comment

The cross section pic reminds me of a broken hunk of a small millstone.
                    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I want to add back story on this piece. A stone mason neighbor who was also an artifact collector said he thought this was native America artifact. This has gotten very interesting. Thanks to all opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X