Identifying a couple of points from Rhode Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a couple of points from Rhode Island

Hey guys! I recently got bit by the bug after rediscovering an arrowhead I had found when I was fishing with my dad as a kid, about 20 years ago. Fast forward to today, I’ve been hunting for points in an area near my house in Cumberland, Rhode Island. I was looking for some more info on a couple that I found within 15 feet of each other, on separate occasions. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think! Still pretty new to it and I’m not great at figuring out type and age yet
    Last edited by jonquist; 02-22-2023, 11:03 AM.

The first one is a tip fragment, made of Attleboro Red Rhyolite, which is a very common lithic on Rhode Island sites. Can’t ID as to type, without the base being present. Second piece looks like it has suffered some damage as well, tough to type, might have been a small knife, or even broke while making it. Nice finds.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the super quick reply! For context the red point was found in a sand bar on a small creek; the black point/knife was about 15 feet away uphill, right on the edge of a walking trail in an area with some recent erosion so it’s taken a bit more of a beating. By looking at it my best guess was a knife made from a flake that looks to be pretty heavily used and resharpened. Finding out how far back they go really intrigues me the most.

Comment

Also for anyone interested here’s the previously mentioned point I found as a kid. Found along shore of a lake we used to camp at. Been told it’s probably a Squibnocket of some kind.
        Last edited by jonquist; 02-23-2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Nice finds and pictures. That tip is a heart breaker.
          South Carolina

Comment

Cool finds Jonquist, I'm in that area also
            Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Originally posted by jonquist View Post
              Also for anyone interested here’s the previously mentioned point I found as a kid. Found along shore of a lake we used to camp at. Been told it’s probably a Squibnocket of some kind.
              Very nice. Probably a Squibnocket Stemmed, or else a Wading River. These were used for a long time period, Late Archaic well into Woodland times. And they were more often used for graving, scoring, incising, and cutting operations than used as actual projectiles. If you really get into hunting points around here, this is a book you’ll want to have. The best typology guide for southern New England:

What great news. One of the very best typology guides to the Northeast, is, at long, long last, available again. Below I have copied in its entirety the good news as I just received it from the guide's editor, Bill Moody: Friends, I have some good news! The last edition of the outstanding typology book produced by Jeff

Rhode Island

Comment

Nice finds!

Comment

Working...
                X